• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Throwing in the towel with a contract early. Moral dilema

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
    These projects / programmes are not unique. You have decisions to make and the good news is you have options:

1) Do the best you can. Continue to escalate, communicate and report on the issues. Try and address the dysfunctional areas in a rational and even handed manner. If you stick it out to the end, it's likely you'll feel a significant sense of satisfaction at having been able to deliver something in spite of everyone around you. I know I did.

2) Do the bare minimum and get out before the car crash happens and head off in search of that perfect role somewhere else

Either option is fine. It does read to me like you're far too personally and emotionally involved and are carrying the weight of the world on your shoulders. When was your last holiday?
    Sound advice and thanks. Im swaying to option 2. I am in deep as i enjoy delivering big transformation projects of this type. Holiday and down time has been plentiful but I suspect stresses at home have contributed to the erratic sense of desperation with this project.

Comment

Originally posted by surfstar View Post
      Sound advice and thanks. Im swaying to option 2. I am in deep as i enjoy delivering big transformation projects of this type. Holiday and down time has not been a plentiful but I suspect stresses at home have contributed to the erratic sense of desperation.
      Nothing to stop you doing both - escalate, carry out your duties as professionally as you are able while looking around for other projects. Document the issues so that there may be lessons learned from burning so much cash.
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

you do sound quite down and depressed about it.......

it gets to us all my friend...even the most experienced of contractors....

just try to get it in perspective...I did the other day, when I walked past a cleaner (foreign migrant) in a supermarket, late forties.....she was struggling on......our job is A LOT better then a huge number of jobs out there...

read, exercise and talk it over with a mate or family....

Comment

Originally posted by wantacontract View Post
          Or a bunch of tossers on an internet forum.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

you do sound quite down and depressed about it.......

it gets to us all my friend...even the most experienced of contractors....

just try to get it in perspective...I did the other day, when I walked past a cleaner (foreign migrant) in a supermarket, late forties.....she was struggling on......our job is A LOT better then a huge number of jobs out there...

+1

You can sit nice and clean in the warmth playing with your mouse rather than having your hand round the U bend.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Cheers all.

Comment

Another way at looking at it, there are lot of people happy in their work. Being sad cleaning lavs is not that far from being sad doing something you hate.

If you hate it move on, life is too short.

Anyway what do any of us know, especially me.
                Last edited by woohoo; 17 February 2016, 08:58. Reason: Cause i realized I know noffin.

Comment

Mtfu

hth bidi

Comment

Firstly....

116 123 (This is the number to dial for the Samaritans)

Secondly, calm down and think about the opportunity here. When there is a crisis there is always an opportunity for you to become a hero and to gain valuable experience. It is with this that you can step up to the plate and really show your worth as an employee. You are doing all the right things but I think there is some great advice on this forum from some experienced folk. You need to calm down and man up

However, if you want to quit cause the job got too tough then go for it.

Comment

In your shoes I'd be spending most of my energy trying to find the next role then getting out ASAP. Leave the mess for them. It's not your problem.

I find it a sweet feeling - walking out of a nightmare. They're all stuck there stabbing each other in the back while you're revving off to the new gig.

Comment

Working...
                      X