• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tory Tax Cuts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

than take it to the grave
    Never understood that mentality, surely you pass it on to your dependants/decendants?

Comment

Originally posted by NigelJK View Post
      Never understood that mentality, surely you pass it on to your dependants/decendants?
      But why wait until you die? Why not use what you have accumulated in your lifetime to do something meaningful with/for your descendants today?

And dependents? Assuming you live to 60 how would you still have any? And if you know you have some then get insurance in place to look out for them. The age at which people inherit real money is approaching 60-
      Why inheritance is 'dead' for a generation in middle age - Telegraph
      What are you going to do at that age to change your life? use the money to fund a degree and reap the rewards for the last few years before your state sanctioned retirement? move into a massive mansion with 6 empty bedrooms so that your offspring can visit you once a year?

Wouldn't it be better if HMRC collected whatever hasn't been spent in a lifetime and used it to pay for things like making a decent education genuinely available to everyone?

And it's not all lefty snowflake virtue signalling, the only person i know who has inherited loadsamoney when young enough to do something with it, and has a very expensive education to really know better, gained such an entitled attitude to life that he basically retired early. Unfortunately he didn't manage his money and now works in a bar where he doesn't earn enough to heat his massive house.

Comment

Well I'm getting close enough to that age now to start thinking. I can assure you the older you get the easier it is to spend money on the things you want.
        Spending 6 months a year on my narrow boat would come very nearly top of that list, and I guess by the time I'm in my 80's I might not be able to physically do it any more, but 20 years keeping one of those in good nick will set you back a bit.

pay for things like making a decent education genuinely available to everyone
        Given how much Tax I've paid over the years for that (and other reasons, noting that MP salary, CS pensions are not normally included in the list you're talking about) that not enough?

Comment

Originally posted by deebeegee View Post
          But why wait until you die? Why not use what you have accumulated in your lifetime to do something meaningful with/for your descendants today?

And dependents? Assuming you live to 60 how would you still have any? And if you know you have some then get insurance in place to look out for them.
          You have a very blinkered view of the world. Lots of women and their accompanying male partners still have children when they are 60 who are dependant on them. It's actually becoming more prevalent due to second marriages and some women putting of children until later.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Well I'm getting close enough to that age now to start thinking. I can assure you the older you get the easier it is to spend money on the things you want.
            Spending 6 months a year on my narrow boat would come very nearly top of that list, and I guess by the time I'm in my 80's I might not be able to physically do it any more, but 20 years keeping one of those in good nick will set you back a bit.
            Sounds nice. One of the attractions of a narrow boat would be knowing that MF can't drop round.

Comment

Originally posted by deebeegee View Post
              Why not let the person who owns the money decide for themself?
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                You have a very blinkered view of the world. Lots of women and their accompanying male partners still have children when they are 60 who are dependant on them. It's actually becoming more prevalent due to second marriages and some women putting of children until later.
                64-year-old woman gives birth to twins - CNN.com
                Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Yeah that's an extreme example.

Anyway apparently more women over 40 in the UK have been giving birth than girls under 18 for the last two years.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    Yeah that's an extreme example.

Anyway apparently more women over 40 in the UK have been giving birth than girls under 18 for the last two years.
                    Latest stats: https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulat...dandwales/2015

In 2015, over half (53%) of all live births in England and Wales were to mothers aged 30 and over and two-thirds (68%) of fathers were aged 30 and over.

The average age of all fathers increased to 33.2 years in 2015, compared with 33.1 years in 2014. For mothers the average age was 30.3 years compared with 30.2 years in 2014.

The average age of first-time mothers was 28.6 years in 2015, compared with 28.5 years in 2014.

In 2015, 84% of babies were registered by parents who were married, in a civil partnership or cohabiting.

In 2015, 39% of live births were first births, 36% were second births and 15% were third births.
                    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

I might not be able to physically do it any more, but 20 years keeping one of those in good nick will set you back a bit.
                      how much?
                      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                      X