+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Posts 21 to 30 of 43
  1. #21
    AtW
    AtW is offline

    My post count is Majestic

    AtW - scorchio!

    AtW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    44,489
    Thanks (Given)
    663
    Thanks (Received)
    403
    Likes (Given)
    4457
    Likes (Received)
    1737

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tomtomagain View Post
    If anything else goes up in price it's called "inflation".
    No no no !

    Inflation is a very bad, terrible thing, only deflation is worse than it.

    On the other hand house price growth is wonderful never ending supply of tax-free money.

    Get it right next time!

    HTH

  2. #22

    Seriously Banned

    Troll 's job has never been outsourced

    Troll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Gods own Country
    Posts
    12,464
    Thanks (Given)
    8
    Thanks (Received)
    71
    Likes (Given)
    106
    Likes (Received)
    331

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Danglekt View Post
    Oh it gets worse, we bought in a rough area about 6 weeks before the bubble popped in 2008, then couldn't sell it, left it empty while renting so we could get the kids in a good school, killed ourselves on a mortgage plus rent, then finally sold the house, massive lump of negative equity, worked for years to clear it, then more years to get deposit.

    We have genuinely caught the dirty end of the dirtiest of sticks.
    First rule of buying property = only buy in areas which are near good schools, leave the dodgy areas to Russian émigrés

    HTH
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

  3. #23

    My post count is Majestic

    d000hg - scorchio!

    d000hg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    My house
    Posts
    30,943
    Thanks (Given)
    96
    Thanks (Received)
    342
    Likes (Given)
    141
    Likes (Received)
    1217

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Danglekt View Post
    Oh it gets worse, we bought in a rough area about 6 weeks before the bubble popped in 2008, then couldn't sell it, left it empty
    Not too dissimilar, we let ours out (still have it). It might bite me in the backside next time we move, and fail the "owning more than one house" test.

    Or put one house in my name and the other in the wife's?
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Quote Originally Posted by vetran View Post
    Urine is quite nourishing

  4. #24

    Super poster

    jamesbrown is NOT a disguised employee

    jamesbrown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    4,462
    Thanks (Given)
    51
    Thanks (Received)
    258
    Likes (Given)
    464
    Likes (Received)
    1293

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by d000hg View Post
    Or put one house in my name and the other in the wife's?
    Nope, that won't work, in the same way that PPR relief for CGT applies per married couple. You can read the consultation though, as the full proposal is there...

  5. #25

    Super poster

    ChimpMaster has more data than eek

    ChimpMaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Here There and Everywhere
    Posts
    4,617
    Thanks (Given)
    51
    Thanks (Received)
    41
    Likes (Given)
    432
    Likes (Received)
    263

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by d000hg View Post
    Not too dissimilar, we let ours out (still have it). It might bite me in the backside next time we move, and fail the "owning more than one house" test.

    Or put one house in my name and the other in the wife's?
    No can do. Married couples are counted as one unit. I suppose you could get divorced and then buy a 2nd house and then perhaps get married again in the future....

  6. #26

    Fingers like lightning

    clearedforlanding has more data than eek


    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    988
    Thanks (Given)
    57
    Thanks (Received)
    61
    Likes (Given)
    284
    Likes (Received)
    260

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by d000hg View Post
    Not too dissimilar, we let ours out (still have it). It might bite me in the backside next time we move, and fail the "owning more than one house" test.

    Or put one house in my name and the other in the wife's?
    Children over 18?

    I am not UK resident & transferring houses to 2 kids there was a doddle with the help of HSBC Expat. I believe it is no different if you are UK resident and avoid dying within 7 years.

  7. #27

    Contractor Among Contractors

    tomtomagain 's job has never been outsourced


    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,382
    Thanks (Given)
    11
    Thanks (Received)
    79
    Likes (Given)
    61
    Likes (Received)
    410

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AtW View Post
    No no no !

    Inflation is a very bad, terrible thing, only deflation is worse than it.

    On the other hand house price growth is wonderful never ending supply of tax-free money.

    Get it right next time!

    HTH
    Thank you for clearing that up.

  8. #28

    My post count is Majestic

    d000hg - scorchio!

    d000hg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    My house
    Posts
    30,943
    Thanks (Given)
    96
    Thanks (Received)
    342
    Likes (Given)
    141
    Likes (Received)
    1217

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesbrown View Post
    Nope, that won't work, in the same way that PPR relief for CGT applies per married couple. You can read the consultation though, as the full proposal is there...
    Quote Originally Posted by ChimpMaster View Post
    No can do. Married couples are counted as one unit. I suppose you could get divorced and then buy a 2nd house and then perhaps get married again in the future....
    Interesting, thanks guys.


    Quote Originally Posted by clearedforlanding View Post
    Child over 18?
    Yes I am
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Quote Originally Posted by vetran View Post
    Urine is quite nourishing

  9. #29

    Seriously Banned

    Troll 's job has never been outsourced

    Troll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Gods own Country
    Posts
    12,464
    Thanks (Given)
    8
    Thanks (Received)
    71
    Likes (Given)
    106
    Likes (Received)
    331

    Default

    Blimey

    First viewings of the maisonette held today - 2 x eastern european couples put an offer in which was rejected by the missus as she doesn't want 2 x couples (in a 2 bed flat) but intends to hold out for a single couple (who will sublet the second room themselves if they have any sense) or a family

    I'd take the money regardless
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

  10. #30

    I live on CUK

    vetran is a fount of knowledge

    vetran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Come Friendly Bombs
    Posts
    23,611
    Thanks (Given)
    486
    Thanks (Received)
    1897
    Likes (Given)
    4574
    Likes (Received)
    4198

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Troll View Post
    Blimey

    First viewings of the maisonette held today - 2 x eastern european couples put an offer in which was rejected by the missus as she doesn't want 2 x couples (in a 2 bed flat) but intends to hold out for a single couple (who will sublet the second room themselves if they have any sense) or a family

    I'd take the money regardless
    Show me the money.

    Wife was similar I just said their money paid for this house.
    "If you didn't do anything that wasn't good for you it would be a very dull life. What are you gonna do? Everything that is pleasant in life is dangerous."

    I want to see the hand of history on his collar.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.