• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Xenon headlight bulbs

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hugh Jardon View Post
    Yes it is clear to see that there is a potential hazard or two to changing one of these bulbs.
    Maybe this approach is flawed. But wouldn't just disconnecting the car battery before replacement render one of these xenon bulbs dead as a dodo!
    Not quite, they have a ballast unit on them as well which acts as a capacitor and hold a serious charge. Disconnecting the battery and then turning the lights on *should* discharge it safely, but I'm no expert so don't take my word for it.

Where's our resident Electrickery Lizard when we need him?
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
      Not quite, they have a ballast unit on them as well which acts as a capacitor and hold a serious charge. Disconnecting the battery and then turning the lights on *should* discharge it safely, but I'm no expert so don't take my word for it.

Where's our resident Electrickery Lizard when we need him?
      I've seen plenty of systems where a fault has rendered the cap. discharge circuit inoperative.

Golden rule of electronics: always, always discharge caps before you touch anything.

Ps. And discharge them properly, don't just shove a screwdriver across the terminals.
      nomadd liked this post

Comment

Originally posted by Archangel View Post
        I've just changed the xenons in my xc60 bought a pair of oem off ebay for £60 saving £240 on volvo price. Volvo recommend switching the lights on without the ignition to discharge the capacitor, but I just went ahead and disconnected the headlights from the wiring system and swapped them both. Took around 2 mins.
        Archangel.
        Did you make that ebay purchase based on some kind of recommendation?
        As I see what looks like some real variations from that source in terms of price, feedback etc......
        “Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending.”

Comment

Originally posted by nomadd View Post
          I've seen plenty of systems where a fault has rendered the cap. discharge circuit inoperative.

Golden rule of electronics: always, always discharge caps before you touch anything.

Ps. And discharge them properly, don't just shove a screwdriver across the terminals.
          Cheers DaveB & nomadd.
          I have been looking more into the safety angle.
          There is a youtube video showing a swedish geeser changing his 9-5's Xenons. Some big edits probably means he did not add those very important tips. Or he got lucky this time.
          A close look at the new ones he fitted reveals that he bought a couple of fakes! As he shows in another video.
          I am keen to get the bulbs first. Then decide who the fitter will be!
          “Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending.”

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Jardon View Post
            Archangel.
            Did you make that ebay purchase based on some kind of recommendation?
            As I see what looks like some real variations from that source in terms of price, feedback etc......
            Used this guy

xenoneurope on eBay

He just seems to sell xenons, had 5000 feedback at 100%

Comment

Talking of which ... where is Xenofon?

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost

The Lizard sticks to proper lightbulbs that cost £5 in Halfords.
                +1 This new fangled stuff will never catch on
                How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Q. How many IT contractors does it take to change a Xenon light bulb?

A.

1 to fit the lightbulb, 50 to endlessly discuss the requirements, costs, process, deployment plan, testing and support if it goes badly wrong.

Just ******* change the bulb FFS!

Comment

How many psychiatrists does it take to change a bulb?

Only one but the bulb has to want to change first.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                      I've still got my doubts about those new fangled halogen things.
                      Indeed!

Comment

Working...
                      X