• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The pound seems rather poorly

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The pound seems rather poorly

Is it just going to drop and drop and drop? It seems a bit odd to me that with China struggling, [mostly foreign-owned] oil tanking, etc, the pound is weakening so substantially.

Or was the 1.40 period the abnormality and we're just back where we 'should' be?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Other than a wee dip around ten years ago I've been used to it holding steady at US$1.50. Hopefully that housing engine will get going before my California holiday. I'll also settle for an economic shock in the USA.

Comment

Originally posted by seanraaron View Post
      Other than a wee dip around ten years ago I've been used to it holding steady at US$1.50. Hopefully that housing engine will get going before my California holiday. I'll also settle for an economic shock in the USA.
      Let's hope so I've 3 weeks in Florida come May, I knew I should have stocked up on the $$$$$'s beforehand
      In Scooter we trust

Comment

Funny there should be a post about Pounds Sterling, I just got the butler to put another handful on to the grate.

The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

I fixed my € salary to Sterling. I am getting ******* hammered.

Comment

Originally posted by clearedforlanding View Post
            I fixed my € salary to Sterling. I am getting ******* hammered.
            For every cloud.... I invoice mostly in dollars, so I'm getting ******* inverse hammered.

That being said, a lot of this is risk aversion. The Euro is now appreciating in risk-off conditions, and no one is long GBP with current instability (the UK is a very open economy), the prospect of Brexit, manufacturing/industrial weakness, current account deficit etc. A technical bounce is due, and if the risk-off conditions subside, the pound will rebound, absent a Brexit. In the mean time, Cable could test the 1.35-1.37 low of the last financial crisis.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
              For every cloud.... I invoice mostly in dollars, so I'm getting ******* inverse hammered.

That being said, a lot of this is risk aversion. The Euro is now appreciating in risk-off conditions, and no one is long GBP with current instability (the UK is a very open economy), the prospect of Brexit, manufacturing/industrial weakness, current account deficit etc. A technical bounce is due, and if the risk-off conditions subside, the pound will rebound, absent a Brexit. In the mean time, Cable could test the 1.35-1.37 low of the last financial crisis.

the pound will rebound, absent a Brexit
              Christ, the scaremongering is everywhere already

Comment

Originally posted by Flashman View Post
                Christ, the scaremongering is everywhere already
                Not scaremongering at all. This has almost nothing to do with the argument for or against leaving. I'm a eurosceptic, but also a realist w/r to markets. I'm talking about a short-term shock. Anyone who thinks differently knows feck all about financial markets.

Comment

Invoicing in Euros.

What on earth is going on? Last month I looked it was 1.42 to £. Today it's closer to 1.29. Bit worrying an established currency like sterling can loose so much value so quickly. The euro will be out of business at this rate.
                  "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                    Invoicing in Euros.

What on earth is going on? Last month I looked it was 1.42 to £. Today it's closer to 1.29. Bit worrying an established currency like sterling can loose so much value so quickly. The euro will be out of business at this rate.
                    Roll on the Atlantic Free Trade Agreement and we can all spend Yankee dollars *ACK*

Comment

Working...
                    X