• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Buy to let stamp duty surcharge and other related news

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by centurian View Post
    How are they actually going to define BTL purchase and holiday homes.

Sounds easy, but I can think of a few tricks to get round it.

In fact, MPs should know all about this - given how many of them flipped their primary and secondary residences to avoid CGT.
    If you want a mortgage when you buy the place you probably can't easily play tricks like this. For cash, maybe but it would possibly be fraud, or the hassle you might have to go through - moving there for a few months(?) wouldn't be worth it.

And of course if the majority don't play tricks, it's worked even if a minority to find a loophole.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

How are they actually going to define BTL purchase and holiday homes.

Sounds easy, but I can think of a few tricks to get round it.

In fact, MPs should know all about this - given how many of them flipped their primary and secondary residences to avoid CGT.
      HMT has already conceded that it won't apply to unmarried couples who each have a property in their own name (i.e. second home scenario, not BTL), so there will be workarounds of sorts. However, I can't see this being especially difficult to legislate or police (they have the land registry database, for example; not sure about BTL, but there's the DPS database, and they were increasing the fines for non-registration earlier this year ). All taxes create problems of avoidance and evasion; they will address them as usual.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        Or, "Friends of the Conservative Party", as they are also known.....
        Nice one.

I think Oik showed a good awareness of who his real friends are today. It's amazing what you can do with inputs like "growth projections". If the economy's back in the tulipter in a few years, we'll see how rosy those turn out to be.
        Last edited by Zero Liability; 25 November 2015, 21:14.

Comment

Sounds like its about as well thought through as the contractor/IR35 stuff.

What's the "problem" he's trying to "fix" with this? (other than a general need for tax money)

If it's to stop BTL from pushing up purchase prices for would-be homeowners, then exempting established landlords is like giving someone a quarter size plug for a full size plughole.

...would that I had enough spare cash to worry about BTL....

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
            Or, "Friends of the Conservative Party", as they are also known.....
            Or, legitimate businesses.

We should form a syndicate and pool our BTLs.

Out of interest, are there any similar exemptions for the dividend taxes? Funds and so on based on dividend-focused stocks would be damaged, the thought occurs to me.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

How are they actually going to define BTL purchase and holiday homes..
              Probably based on your occupancy, or lack thereof. Even if you're renting your main residence.

Good to know this BTL stamp duty does not apply in Scotland. So I can switch my BTL's back home without worry.
              "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

I want to buy a BTL property.Do i have to do it before April to avoid these monstrous charges ?

Comment

Taken from the This is Money Website:

"There are two things to note about the new buy-to-let and stamp duty charge.

Firstly, it has the potential to seriously distort the property market, as landlords and second homeowners rush to beat the April deadline and then go quiet.

Secondly, property investors still have a trick left up their sleeves.

When it comes to selling up, they can offset purchase costs against any eventual capital gains tax – and that includes stamp duty.

So, while they will get whacked with a big bill now, if a buy-to-letter eventually sells at a tasty profit, they can claim stamp duty back later on CGT.

The Treasury confirmed to me last night that this still remains the case. The question is, will it one day face the axe?"

Comment

Originally posted by Martin@AS Financial View Post
                    Taken from the This is Money Website:

"There are two things to note about the new buy-to-let and stamp duty charge.

Firstly, it has the potential to seriously distort the property market, as landlords and second homeowners rush to beat the April deadline and then go quiet.

Secondly, property investors still have a trick left up their sleeves.

When it comes to selling up, they can offset purchase costs against any eventual capital gains tax – and that includes stamp duty.

So, while they will get whacked with a big bill now, if a buy-to-letter eventually sells at a tasty profit, they can claim stamp duty back later on CGT.

The Treasury confirmed to me last night that this still remains the case. The question is, will it one day face the axe?"
                    A number of people have mentioned the offset of SDLT against CGT when the time comes to sell. Yes you can offset purchase/transaction costs against CGT calculations but this is hardly worth celebrating.

Consider the example of a property purchased at £275k.

At current SDLT rates, you pay SDLT of 3750 on the purchase at 275k.
                    At 2016/17 SDLT rates, you pay SDLT of 10800 on the purchase at 275k.

Assuming you're paying CGT at 28% of net profit, then the 'saving' in CGT is 0.28 * (10800-3750), i.e. £1974.

So you would have paid £7050 extra stamp duty but only recovered £1974 when you eventually sell... which could be 20 years later!

BTL is not dead for investors, but the game is up for the new wannabe types who go into NMD deals, 'recycling your cash' and other get-rich-schemes, which frankly is a good thing.
                    Last edited by ChimpMaster; 26 November 2015, 12:41.

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
                      BTL is not dead for investors, but the game is up for the new wannabe types who go into NMD deals, 'recycling your cash' and other get-rich-schemes, which frankly is a good thing.
                      Without newbies to join the great Ponzi scheme the whole stack of cards will come tumbling down.

I expect extra BTL taxes soon. Retrospectively applied.

Comment

Working...
                      X