• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The official "Autumn Statement 2015" AKA "End of Contracting" thread

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
    T&S confirmed
    HMG to cut use of agencies/contractors by 20%

Can't see anything else searching for;

Contractor
    Freelance
    Intermediary

Try 'worker'

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      "3.92 Capital Gains Tax entrepreneurs’ relief: contrived structures
      – The government will consider bringing forward legislation to amend the changes made by Finance Act 2015 to
      entrepreneurs’ relief, in order to support businesses by ensuring that the relief is available on
      certain genuine commercial transactions"

Nothing else on it yet.

The way I read it this means they'll stop PSCs from claiming it for sure, probably most small companies that won't fit "genuine commercial transactions" - meaning, if you shut down your business you won't get ER.
      I'm sure this relates to what was already announced and nothing to do with normal (genuine) liquidations.

Specifically this:
      Autumn Statement 2015 | Entrepreneurs relief on indirect investments

But it does sound like TIS reforms will clamp down on people shutting their company, claiming ER then starting a new one. Which seems reasonable so long as the updated legislation is clearer.
      Last edited by TheCyclingProgrammer; 25 November 2015, 13:57.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
        I have a feeling this relates to dodgy loan schemes rather than IR35.
        I thought that, but then realised it's sufficiently vague that they can probably extend it in almost any direction they want

Comment

Originally posted by pjt View Post
          After all that! The tories actually listened to us and have worked out a way to hit us so stealthily we'll never see it coming!
          FTFY

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
            Well, I want him to raise taxes in order to provide for a more equitable society, in which the NHS is adequately funded, and assistance is available to the disadvantaged. But I'm given to understand that I'm a bit of an outlier on here
            You and me both Sweetie
            I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
            CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
            CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Don't see anything on the divi tax I take it that ones a given?

Comment

By mentioning the Intermediaries Legislation in the T&S bit, maybe it means you'll still be able to claim if you opt out?
                Taking a break from contracting

Comment

Can we change the thread title now?

Comment

Snap analysis suggests nothing like the worst case scenario, with T&S relief reduced under IR35 only, and nothing new on IR35. There is a hook for doing something on ER next April, subject to consultation, and revising the associated TIS legislation. Also, I would be wary about the generic statements on p. 123, specifically 3.85 and 3.87, noting the stamp of 25 November 2015 for 3.87. However, they use the word "schemes", which makes me think it's specifically related to schemes.

We'll need to let this sink in, and see the response to the IR35 discussion, but first analysis is good.

Comment

Originally posted by pjt View Post
                      Don't see anything on the divi tax I take it that ones a given?
                      Yup, that's already announced and in the books so need to comment further on it I guess.

Comment

Working...
                      X