• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The official "Autumn Statement 2015" AKA "End of Contracting" thread

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cirrus View Post
    How about something more positive and uplifting?
    Even if contracting is dead there will always be Salma.. How's that?
    Last edited by administrator; 25 November 2015, 10:30. Reason: Too big!
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Even if contracting is dead there will always be Salma.. How's that?
      Hope she took a dividend yesterday..
      Last edited by administrator; 25 November 2015, 12:06. Reason: big norks

Comment

'Hey granddad, what did you do in the Osbourne wars ?'

'I was a contractor son. till I was captured by the HMRC'

'Then what happened grandad'

'That's when I got this brush son. And became the best street sweeper in Sturry'
        (\__/)
        (>'.'<)
        ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
          'Hey granddad, what did you do in the Osbourne wars ?'

'I was a contractor son. till I was captured by the HMRC'

'Then what happened grandad'

'That's when I got this brush son. And became the best street sweeper in Sturry'
          EternalOptimist?

Comment

I'm seeing the positive side to this. IT jobs are soul destroying. If contracting dies, I'm certainly not doing IT for 60k. It'll force me to change career instead of chasing the GBP. I've had it with being in an office with IT people who have a sense of superiority because they 'know unix'.

Comment

FTFY

I've had it with being in an office with IT people who have a sense of superiority because they pretend to know unix.
              Its quite staggering to me, to be quite honest, how many people there are working in IT projects, that have no idea about IT at all.

No idea about SDLC, dependencies etc. etc.

Anyway we are all DOOMED
              The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

If we all fall inside IR35, and we are on roughly 140k, what are we likely to drop to?

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                  Its quite staggering to me, to be quite honest, how many people there are working in IT projects, that have no idea about IT at all.

No idea about SDLC, dependencies etc. etc.
                  So very true.
                  As for IT being soul-destroying....I can see it might be in support but I find projects good fun. Just me I guess.

Anyway, back to panicking.
                  I'm a smug bastard.

Comment

Originally posted by heyya99 View Post
                    I'm seeing the positive side to this. IT jobs are soul destroying. If contracting dies, I'm certainly not doing IT for 60k. It'll force me to change career instead of chasing the GBP. I've had it with being in an office with IT people who have a sense of superiority because they 'know unix'.
                    Nah, just find one of those IT jobs where you can do the entire thing in 10 minutes while you have your morning coffee.

Spend the rest of the day on your own projects.

There was a post in /r/talesfromtechsupport which I'll explain from memory - afaik it was about a contractor who started his job and found another dev looking very very shifty and scared of him. He didn't understand why. The guy would try to disappear when he was around. Eventually he pinned him down and they went to the pub. After a few drinks the guy confessed that he'd been working there for *seven years* without actually having a job. They basically hired him, then shut down the team but he got stuck on the payroll. On his first day, he was told 'someone will be with you soon' and given a desk in some obscure part of the building. He kept turning up and after a week or two stopped asking. He wrote three novels and was working his fourth or something like.

So if that doesn't inspire you...
                    Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

Currently 10+ contracts available in your area

Comment

but I find projects good fun. Just me I guess.
                      No, I can concur with that, as long as you have bought some of your mates in
                      The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Working...
                      X