• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Care homes fees justified ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My mum has done some sort of legal thing which 'hides' her assets from the self-funding regulations... she was concerned that all "my inheritance" would be drained away should she decide she needs to enter such a place.

Some sort of trust IIRC, the details escape me though.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Those residents fully funded by the state are charged significantly less. Those paying privately are cross subsidising the state funded ones. The whole thing is a stinking mess. Especially when the English are paying for Scottish old people to get free old folks homes too.

Comment

There must be a lot of families find themselves in this situation; what happens when the money runs out? Or isn't there to start with?

I take it it's like healthcare i.e. there's "state care homes" or you can pay even more for private?
        Originally posted by Nigel Farage MEP - 2016-06-24 04:00:00
        "I hope this victory brings down this failed project and leads us to a Europe of sovereign nation states, trading together, being friends together, cooperating together, and let's get rid of the flag, the anthem, Brussels, and all that has gone wrong."

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          My mum has done some sort of legal thing which 'hides' her assets from the self-funding regulations... she was concerned that all "my inheritance" would be drained away should she decide she needs to enter such a place.

Some sort of trust IIRC, the details escape me though.
          d000hg would have something to say about that being immoral. Oh hang on...

Comment

Originally posted by rl4engc View Post
            There must be a lot of families find themselves in this situation; what happens when the money runs out? Or isn't there to start with?

I take it it's like healthcare i.e. there's "state care homes" or you can pay even more for private?
            I think you're guaranteed/entitled to care but if you have the money you have to pay yourself (regardless where you go) until it runs out?

I've no idea if I think that's reasonable or not. Living off the state while wealthy is a bit PsychoCandy...

Comment

Originally posted by ZARDOZ View Post
              d000hg would have something to say about that being immoral. Oh hang on...
              It's not my money. I did try to establish if it was some shady scheme but apparently it's all above board, her advisor went through it with me but I immediately forgot all the details.

Comment

I didn't know it was free in Scotland, in UK once you are down to last 16k ish the council funding kicks in if family can't top up fees then you have to find a home were the council funding will cover it and that in my nans case is around 1.5hr drive a way, not ideal if you want to visit everyday.

Before dementia care she was in a normal care home in the last 2.5 years she has paid out circa £140k in care home fees, she was in no ways rich and had to sell property to fund.

Didn't know about that hiding asset trust thing I will look into that as though too late my nan its probably not to late for my mum who looks to be going the same way.
                I like big butts and I cannot lie.

Comment

Originally posted by CoolCat View Post
                  Especially when the English are paying for Scottish old people to get free old folks homes too.
                  There are no old people in Scotland. They just look it.

Comment

Originally posted by ELBBUBKUNPS View Post
                    I didn't know it was free in Scotland, in UK once you are down to last 16k ish the council funding kicks in if family can't top up fees then you have to find a home were the council funding will cover it and that in my nans case is around 1.5hr drive a way, not ideal if you want to visit everyday.
                    On the plus side, you can't visit every day

Didn't know about that hiding asset trust thing I will look into that as though too late my nan its probably not to late for my mum who looks to be going the same way.
                    I found the email... I think she actually has two things set up:

1)A Will Trust into which the estate she inherited when my father died is placed - i.e. 1/2 what they jointly owned

2)A Family Protection Trust

Hopefully that might be useful for googling, etc. In some way it means she still owns/has full use of her assets, but they technically are held in trust for myself (I think).

Comment

What we know about current staffing levels
                      – care homes and community
                      In care homes there is an average ratio of 18 patients
                      per registered nurse during the day, and 26 patients per
                      RN at night.
                      http://www.rcn.org.uk/__data/assets/...237/003860.pdf

Extended Care / Nursing Home Hospital Setting Salary, Average Salaries | PayScale United Kingdom

so costs are say 11 employees to cover 2 positions = £220k. 36 patients * £5k = £180k they may have a point. You may be able to use cheaper staff to supplant the nurses and have a nurse on call.
                      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                      X