• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Crackdown on personal service companies could raise £400m in tax

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AtW View Post
    It was 20 years ago.

Now it ain't.
    Indeed. These days £190k is nothing.

http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...-anything.html

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      It was 20 years ago.

Now it ain't.
      Yes it is. How much do you pay your employees?
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Pretty good piece by Allistair Heath:

Autumn Statement: Why George Osborne must not hike capital gains tax - Telegraph

Still, the reply will be 'that's nice dear, but I have a deficit to slay'. One is reminded of a certain don Quixote, the way he is going about it.

Comment

I'm clearly no economist, but if the tax burden along with ridiculously ludicrous red tape within the UK continue to increase, then surely it can't be long before places such as Ireland seize the opportunity to start luring business from the UK with a more liberal regime ?

Whilst I appreciate that the deficit must be dealt with, it seems that the current approach is just to increase tax and reduce spending. On the face of it that would seem sensible, however I can't help thinking that it seems a very old way of dealing with a modern problem.

I don't recall ever seeing this Chancellor do anything to genuinely stoke up the UK economy and to start getting business investing and expanding. I think to really reset the UK economy there needs to be a far more drastic approach to the taxation system than to just tweak the edges.

If George isn't careful he's going to end up looking very much like a Labour chancellor to most Tory voters.

Comment

Everything points to him wanting money out of Ltd Co warchests, taxed and pushed back into the broader economy to help stimulate it. He's tried everything else but he's as stimulating as Ena Sharples.

Watch some sad cukker get turned on by Ena
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by MrO666 View Post
              If George isn't careful he's going to end up looking very much like a Labour chancellor to most Tory voters.
              Too late, he already wasn't careful.

Comment

I'm clearly no economist.
                No worries, nor's Osborne

Whilst I appreciate that the deficit must be dealt with, it seems that the current approach is just to increase tax and reduce spending. On the face of it that would seem sensible, however I can't help thinking that it seems a very old way of dealing with a modern problem.

I don't recall ever seeing this Chancellor do anything to genuinely stoke up the UK economy and to start getting business investing and expanding. I think to really reset the UK economy there needs to be a far more drastic approach to the taxation system than to just tweak the edges.
                He should, quite obviously one would think, be encouraging the entrepreneurial economy. More business means more liquidity, more domestic cash-flow and thus more tax - all without changing anything in the framework. Tories used to understand this - it was a pillar of their manifesto
                And of course nobody wants to discuss the elephant in the room that is the NHS. But I suppose we shouldn't go there.
                I'm a smug bastard.

Comment

I'm clearly no economist, but if the tax burden along with ridiculously ludicrous red tape within the UK continue to increase, then surely it can't be long before places such as Ireland seize the opportunity to start luring business from the UK with a more liberal regime ?
                  Credit Suisse moving a trading floor to Dublin. The rot has started.

Comment

If George isn't careful he's going to end up looking very much like a Labour chancellor to most Tory voters. contractors
                    The majority of Tory voters are not contractors. Tax credits affect far more Tory voters than this stuff, and it's very easy to spin our situation as part of "clamping down on tax avoidance" which even most Tory voters are happy about.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                      The majority of Tory voters are not contractors. Tax credits affect far more Tory voters than this stuff, and it's very easy to spin our situation as part of "clamping down on tax avoidance" which even most Tory voters are happy about.
                      However I would think that a large number of Tory voters will be affected by the changes to dividend taxes.

Comment

Working...
                      X