• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Don't want to marry but have kid on the way

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

I'm not the marrying type either but I don't have kids
    Weren't you moaning about your lad sat at home all day doing nothing a few months ago ?!

Comment

Originally posted by NibblyPig View Post
      Can you elaborate on why this is the case? Because there is a huge difference according to the law. You only get something if you split when unmarried if it can be proved that you intended to get married in the future, you have a stake in the assets (e.g. paid part of the mortgage), or there are children involved (the children are entitled to a share of your assets). You might have to pay some rent or similar if your partner is without a home.

According to the law, you won't get fleeced for half your stuff, and it looks MUCH more favourable than being married.
      The reason lots of people think this is because most normal people are so poor that by the time they have paid for their child(ren) to have a decent standard of living especially somewhere to live there is nothing left for them to live on. Many fathers end up homeless because of this.

BTW you can simply do a decent amount of DIY to have a claim to the assets. I knew a woman who had to pay her ex because the DIY he had done helped to increase the value of the house. In their case the people who won where the lawyers. If she had just given him £20K it would have been cheaper......
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

@OP - You sound like you are ready to divorce her even before you propose

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
          Run away now.

The weather's quite nice in Argentina at this time of year.

And there's no extradition treaty.
          Just don't settle on the Malvinas...

Comment

Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
            Weren't you moaning about your lad sat at home all day doing nothing a few months ago ?!
            Oh good spot!! I do have step kids, one at university and one not far behind so getting we'd doesn't really change anything.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Oh good spot!! I do have step kids, one at university and one not far behind so getting we'd doesn't really change anything.
              Unless you own the house you live in. They could inherit all that you've saved pissing on the taxman's eyes.

Comment

Perhaps marriage with a pre-nup is the safest bet now, only second to becoming a monk.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                  Perhaps marriage with a pre-nup is the safest bet now, only second to becoming a monk.

Talking of kids, wifes, mistresses etc, how many times were you divorced so far?

Comment

Originally posted by ELBBUBKUNPS View Post
                    Would you marry your partner just because you had a kid on the way ?
                    That would be the worst reason to get married.

Originally posted by ELBBUBKUNPS View Post
                    My misses has our child on the way, I don't want to marry though might be something to do with the fact both my parents married and divorced 3 x each ! Plus my dad got bent over £ wise by two of his ex-wifes.

I'm getting big pressure to propose etc from gf and her family as kid now on the way and I don't want to get married.

If I don't marry her do I lose rights to see my child etc if we then split ? Currently gf lives in my house which is soley in my name, she had to sign a doc saying she had no interest in it (requested by bank not me), she has her own property she lets out.
                    Married or not will make difference on your rights to see your child.

--------------------------

Can I ask how you feel about the child? Quite frankly both you and your partner should be concentrating on what is best for the child. And marriage is irrelevant to that.

Could I do some stupid marriage jokes now? Marriage is 3 rings - engagement, wedding, suffer. Marriage is finding out what sort of man your wife would have preferred. Do you own a batman outfit?

Should I look back to see how much abuse has been heaped upon me? Or is it the usual boring stuff?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                      Should I look back to see how much abuse has been heaped upon me?
                      I am all fecking ears BP

Comment

Working...
                      X