• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Where to live for city jobs?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where to live for city jobs?

Ok, so I've got my dream job in one of the top newspaper offices on Fleet St. (one small flaw, but this isn't what my question is about).

Where should I rent a flat? I want a walk or a short commute.

All the surrounding areas seem to be full of the benefits squad with rampaging mobs smashing up anything and anyone who might "gentrify" the area. I'm not against living in squalor, but there's not much available since I can't claim asylum and don't qualify for a council flat.

I'm out of touch with London and staying in Haggerston for a few weeks - surely there's somewhere better than this?

What do you guys suggest?

Originally posted by hugebrain View Post
    What do you guys suggest?
    KUATB

Comment

The one quite major flaw is that there are no major newspapers on Fleet Street. Well, apart from the Beano.

Comment

If it was me, I would live in Clerkenwell. A lovely part of London, and easy to walk everywhere. You can get to Fleet Street in 10-15 minutes. It is very expensive though of course.

Comment

Originally posted by kempc23 View Post
          If it was me, I would live in Clerkenwell. A lovely part of London, and easy to walk everywhere. You can get to Fleet Street in 10-15 minutes. It is very expensive though of course.
          This tube map shows the average rent costs near every Underground station
          Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Comment

Thats per month for a 2 bed room house and a garden yes?

Comment

Is there any space left under those bridges in West London?

apart from the Beano
              Most important publication ever!
              bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
              John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Goldmine sucks?

Where do you find time to post on CUK? Just get a sleeping bag under your desk - you are going to be chained to it.

Comment

Leyton, Leytonstone, Wanstead on central line within 10-20 minutes of city. Or you can cycle in about 30-45.. Gets leafier as you get further away...

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                    Is there any space left under those bridges in West London?
                    No the spiders have taken over.

There may be space in winter if it goes down to freezing.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                    X