• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is any one putting their rates up 2016 - 2017

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not benched yet but currently asking £50 pd extra
    When I'm benched this will probably go down to £25 extra
    Benched for more then 4 weeks probably same old rate again

Comment

Originally posted by motoukenin View Post
      With new rules on dividends , a potential tax on expenses if sdc comes in (will do in one form or another) and a few other back door changes to the way we pay tax , is anyone going to ask for a higher rate next year ?

Thinking of asking for 50 quid a day more next year to cover some of these extras, agent says that its possible I could get it but wont know until he asks
      If you're after a serious debate, go here: The Future of Contracting

Otherwise, stay in General.
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
        FTFY
        Aye Trouble is JSA is only £74 a week!
        Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
          Good luck you'll need it.

Contractor: Thing is I need £50 a day more now because I've got to pay more tax.
          Client: Hang on - you already get double what the permies get and now you're moaning about tax. Sorry I don't give a monkeys....
          Permies cost twice their gross salary to the client. Cost of a permie and contractor over the longer term is not that different.

You think your pension, holidays, sickness, maternity/paternity, employers NI is free to the client?

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post

You think your pension, holidays, sickness, maternity/paternity, employers NI is free to the client?

Plus costs of recruitment / redundancy / sex discrimination / race discrimination / unfair dismissal

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAccountant View Post
              Plus costs of recruitment / redundancy / sex discrimination / race discrimination / unfair dismissal
              That costs a fortune in itself. Someone starts (recruitment cost £50K), then claims discrimination (after having 6 months off on full pay with "stress") and gets a huge payout, usually many times their annual salary, plus legal costs to the client. Happens all the time in big companies.

Contractor, hire and fire, no rights, use and abuse. Client quids in everytime.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                Permies cost twice their gross salary to the client. Cost of a permie and contractor over the longer term is not that different.

Aware of that. Luckily, current client manager also sees it this way but not all do. A lot will look at what you're getting as the contractor which leads to very little sympathy if you moan about tax.
                Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Aware of that. Luckily, current client manager also sees it this way but not all do. A lot will look at what you're getting as the contractor which leads to very little sympathy if you moan about tax.
                  Moaning about tax is for the pub, home and CUK only.

Simples.

Comment

Aye Trouble is JSA is only £74 a week!
                    But it is WFH.
                    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Just started a gig last week at my highest rate yet - and having been giving some planning docs for the project found that the client was forced to reduce their budget for my role, otherwise it would have been stupendous.

As for what happens next year, I'll wait and see. Divi tax is a "meh". OK, I'll end up paying a bit more tax than I used to, but I can live with that. T&S may be more of an issue, however in the past I've had contracts where I've WFH, then recharged travel costs when having to visit the office so this could be an option. As these are expenses incurred by MyCo, paid by MyCo (Corp Credit / Debit card) and then invoiced for by MyCo these are not paid to me and I'd hope this would mean no BIK.

Where there is no WFH at all (some clients have had the opinion that everyone should be sat at a desk all day) then I'd be looking at distance / cost, whether to soak these up, increase the rate or tell the client to take a running jump.

Comment

Working...
                      X