• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

UK net migration hits record high

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    And simpletons like Mauve Monkey here think US "Boomers" have cause high UK house prices.

How about lots more people, not that many more houses over the same period.
    Increased population is definitely a factor. I never said otherwise. As for boomers in the UK being a myth, come to the South West; you can't move for the blue rinse!

But run away prices are due to sock clucking BTL landlords adding competition at the bottom of the market, and being able to borrow the money from the banks. LibLabCon dos not stop this abuse, and could have brought in BTL taxes sooner, and rent controls to dampen demand to buy by young folks.

I will be voting to leave the EU, for a mix of reasons.

I would like to see modest building, small select developments built all round the country. High quality, lower density, a bit bigger.

The new build size is shrinking and the price is increasing. Average prices don't factor that in. So those who bought before 2000 were getting more house for less money.
    http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by Support Monkey View Post
      The NHS is kept running by Immigrants, I am currently contracted in the NHS and every department is dependant on it's immigrant labour force, ...
      and if you visit a hospital in any large city, nearly all the (out)patients seem to be immigrants too or foreign born by the look of it.

That isn't supposition, but my experience each of the two or three times I've had to brave the places in London to visit friends in hospital.
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
        My point is the problems aren't caused by immigration, as was being suggested. The reason the south east is so overcrowded is the shear number of northerners, scots, welsh etc. that have moved to the more prosperous south east over the decades, and not because of the increase in immigration in the last 10 years. And nobody's running around hysterically complaining about pressure on the NHS, schools, houses etc. from all those people, even though it's clear migration within the country causes exactly the same issues.

As Monkey says it's deeply twisted to claim immigration puts pressure on the NHS when the only reason the NHS works at all is because of the large number of immigrants they employ.
        Classic cognitive dissonance - of course an extra 330,000 people per year are going to place extra strain on resources.

It's not twisted. I have nothing against immigrants.

I just don't like crowds

Comment

My point is the problems aren't caused by immigration, as was being suggested. The reason the south east is so overcrowded is the shear number of northerners, scots, welsh etc. that have moved to the more prosperous south east over the decades, and not because of the increase in immigration in the last 10 years. :

Really?

Comment

The NHS is kept running by Immigrants, I am currently contracted in the NHS and every department is dependant on it's immigrant labour force, they are currently actively seeking nurses in the Philippines, from the top consultants down the whole operation is run by immigrants.
            Problem is though they make only a small proportion of the 333,000 and on the other side of the coin we're taking away skilled people from other countries to cope with the influx, that doesn't seem right at all.
            In Scooter we trust

Comment

My point is the problems aren't caused by immigration, as was being suggested. The reason the south east is so overcrowded is the shear number of northerners, scots, welsh etc. that have moved to the more prosperous south east over the decades, and not because of the increase in immigration in the last 10 years. And nobody's running around hysterically complaining about pressure on the NHS, schools, houses etc. from all those people, even though it's clear migration within the country causes exactly the same issues.

As Monkey says it's deeply twisted to claim immigration puts pressure on the NHS when the only reason the NHS works at all is because of the large number of immigrants they employ.
              So we just leave the borders open do we? The difference is if people to choose to live and work in the South east it will create more incentive to live and work in the North as costs rise. It is not such a problem that will not sort itself out whereas I see no point in increasing the population of the UK.
              Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

The NHS is kept running by Immigrants, I am currently contracted in the NHS and every department is dependant on it's immigrant labour force, they are currently actively seeking nurses in the Philippines, from the top consultants down the whole operation is run by immigrants.

No need to worry about MRSA superbug here, there is a whole army of immigrant labour keeping it at bay.

PS: most of those polish and Latvian cleaners are very fine Lady's to look at.

One wonders if the NHS was staffed by immigrants because they were cheap, willing to put up with the stupidity and as part of affirmative action?

As for MRSA the state of most hospitals cleanliness wise is pretty terrible. Not sure whose fault that is.
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                  2015-08-27 UK net migration hits record high

but not to worry - No "ifs", no "buts", David Cameron won't "cave in" on migration
                  He admitted later than March (which is the end of the period being reported on) that this was the case. So this isn't really anything unsurprising. What the 2015/16 figures show will be far more useful i.e. what happened the year after the GE.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                    One wonders if the NHS was staffed by immigrants because they were cheap, willing to put up with the stupidity and as part of affirmative action?

As for MRSA the state of most hospitals cleanliness wise is pretty terrible. Not sure whose fault that is.
                    I've been in several hospitals and honestly I don't think I've ever seen someone with a mop.
                    http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
                      I've been in several hospitals and honestly I don't think I've ever seen someone with a mop.
                      Are you confusing the NHS with Scrubs?

Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                      Originally posted by vetran
                      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                      X