• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

UK net migration hits record high

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    So whats the difference between a Romanian or Hungarian and a Syrian or Gambian person who travels to the UK looking for a better life? As far as I can see, one is legally allowed to however in the eyes of many people they are all one and the same
    It does not matter what they want it is what we want that counts.
    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      Also while I don't have a problem with migrants I've never said the UK needs unfettered immigration.

Not any stage have you said anything to deny this.
      Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

If you are inflexible in location, and some British young people are for no good reason, then don't be surprised if you can't get a job.

If you are inflexible in the type of work you will do to learn some work skills, and some British young people are due to attitudes their parents and peers have, then don't be surprised if you can't get a job.
        Don't disagree but one of the realities that cannot be mentioned without cries of racism is that a disproportionate number of the lowest skilled young people and those least willing to move elsewhere to find jobs are the ethnic minorities that past immigration has given us. We are repeating the same mistakes now. Some groups are/have been/will be useful like Indians, Chinese, Poles, Hungarians but the idea that unskilled Roma, Sudanese, Eritreans, Somalis or those from some parts of South Asia are going to be a benefit to us is an absurd PC fiction, there are figures out there for those who care to check.

Not against highly skilled migration but that is not what we getting. Too many with poor education and no special abilities have absurd expectations and, when those do not become reality, we get resentment, extremism, crime and riots. Not just the UK, look at France or Sweden.

If we want to end "racism" we need proper controls on quality and number.
        Last edited by xoggoth; 30 August 2015, 15:25. Reason: Sweden not Norway
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

The Poles etc are usually good hard working people but we actually do not need them. You and your open borders "friends" seem to ignore this. Furthermore I am sure that by allowing 50 million migrants to come to the UK they will increase the turn over of the economy and maybe once the chaos of the supporting infrastructure gets taken care of they may well improve the GDP overall. After all if people are prepared to migrate to another country chances are they will have a pretty good work ethic.
          Quite agree. Boosting the GDP is only a good thing if we do not similarly increase the population. If the increased GDP is shared among a similarly increased number of people how is anyone better off? The biggest "net benefit" of migrants I have ever seen is 22bn. That's about 3% of government expenditure, in return for a 13% increase in population. Makes no sense whatever.
          bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
          John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
            Try to become a solicitor or a barrister ...
            Or to find a capitalist based system as opposed to a cronyist one.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
              Yeah. Them complicated coffee machines are difficult to drive.
              Yeah tried that, couldn't stand the daily grind...

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

I have my suspicions that a lot of the negativity about immigration and the broader multicultarism debate, especially via a vis the muslim community, is to a large part a result of classic divide and rule tactics and that there are more things that unite us than divide us.

I am going to take it upon myself to take a detour into Easton, Bristol on the way home from work some time soon and just mingle with some of the groups of people I see loitering on street corners and see if I can strike up a bit of rapport just by being natural and making a bit of small talk such as you would by the water cooler with a colleague at work.

Perhaps something along the lines of

"Hey, how's it going?"...

"Isn't it a lovely day?"...

"See the Bake Off last night?"...

"Mega pork pie!"...

And I genuinely think I'll be surprised at the response and I think it will confirm that there are more cultural reference points in common among the disparate ethnic groups that make up our society than certain sections of the media would have you believe.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin Scroatman View Post
                  I have my suspicions that a lot of the negativity about immigration and the broader multicultarism debate, especially via a vis the muslim community, is to a large part a result of classic divide and rule tactics and that there are more things that unite us than divide us.

I am going to take it upon myself to take a detour into Easton, Bristol on the way home from work some time soon and just mingle with some of the groups of people I see loitering on street corners and see if I can strike up a bit of rapport just by being natural and making a bit of small talk such as you would by the water cooler with a colleague at work.

Perhaps something along the lines of

"Hey, how's it going?"...

"Isn't it a lovely day?"...

"See the Bake Off last night?"...

"Mega pork pie!"...

And I genuinely think I'll be surprised at the response and I think it will confirm that there are more cultural reference points in common among the disparate ethnic groups that make up our society than certain sections of the media would have you believe.
                  An IT contractor walking up to people in the street to talk to them ?

Anyway just to back up my point that EU migrants are largely overqualified studenty types rather than Engineers, scientists or "skills shortage" professionals there are many reports that cover this:

One is - a bit long http://www.epc.eu/documents/uploads/...our_market.pdf

From an individual perspective, freedom of movement represents a cherished principle, as 60% of Europeans think that people moving within the EU is a good thing for European integration.
                  However, moving country is also a huge undertaking for the individual. Recent research clearly indicated that CEE mobile workers experience over qualification in the EU15, leading to the phenomenon of ‘down-skilling’ and possible brain waste. Some countries report significant gaps between the educational attainment levels of EU migrant workers and the occupations they work in. This is confirmed by Holland et al , who analysed the skill structure of EU10 nationals working in the EU15 and compared this to the occupations in which they work. The study shows that while they are generally better educated than the average level of the host population, they are over represented in low-skilled and low-pay occupations and sectors such as construction, manufacturing, hotels and restaurants, and agriculture. For instance, while the share of highly-skilled Bulgarians and Romanians working in the EU15 is 21% and 12% respectively, the share of Bulgarian and Romanian migrants working in occupations requiring high skill levels amounts to only 11% and 2%66
                  Such evidence suggests two things. First, it reveals that destination countries are failing to tap into the full potential of migrants’ skills, leading to a waste of human capital in Europe. Second, it shows that CEE mobile workers tend to accept lower-skilled jobs than they would have accepted in their home country and are likely to be more vulnerable than nationals of their host country. Although there is no evidence showing that they constitute an exploited labour force on Western European
                  labour markets, some studies have shown that CEE mobile workers work longer hours and face discrimination over salaries. Furthermore, their enrollment in trade unions is limited, showing that they might be unaware of their rights and less protected than the native population

h

Comment

Working...
                  X