• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Govt ignores 200k petition to legalize cannabis

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

26 US states have decriminalised cannabis to some extent, and in 4 of those it's completely legal. It's a bit sad that the US is leading the way whilst we're still running around hysterically over-reacting. It's still illegal even when there's clear evidence of medical benefit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legali...._jurisdiction
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

THC, Nicotine and Alcohol are 3 very different drugs. Comparing any of them to the other two is the basis of a poor argument.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

It grows naturally...

for me legalise it and tax it

it will then start to make money for the economy rather than costing the economy as the laws need to be enforced.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          THC, Nicotine and Alcohol are 3 very different drugs. Comparing any of them to the other two is the basis of a poor argument.
          Indeed, alcohol kills around 8,000 a year in the UK, THC zero. But point taken, and heroin is different to amphetamine - however we do attempt to classify disparate controlled psychoactive substances into classes (A and B in this case) based in theory on their harmfulness, and these classifications have legal standing.

My chart was from a lecture by Professor Nutt based on work he did in which he applied 9 measures of harmfulness, both to the user and society and came to the conclusion that cannabis is less harmful than our two legal drugs, indeed he argued

the challenges of dealing with the harms of alcohol is probably the biggest challenge that we have in relation to drug harms today.
          A truly evidence-based drug policy would look very different to the one we have; people know this, that the emperor has no clothes. This is not a good thing for respect for the law. I like my Sauvignon Blanc, but I'm not an advocate for any particular substance, I think adults deserve to be given the best information we have and allowed to make their own minds up ...
          Last edited by pjclarke; 27 August 2015, 12:31.
          My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

I'd certainly say alcohol is much more a problem to society than tobacco, not due to the number of deaths but just impacting peoples' quality of life and being a general nuisance.

I'm not sure you can really attribute deaths to cannabis, tobacco, alcohol easily though, and there's more to a drug's dangerousness than whether it will kill you.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
              It grows naturally...

for me legalise it and tax it

it will then start to make money for the economy rather than costing the economy as the laws need to be enforced.
              Exactly this ^

The government could raise extra tax through producing it and selling it through pharmacies etc
              In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post

Yeah, right, lot's of agreeing head nods and concerned looks, sound bites and then.....feck all.
                Well there's no guaranteeing that they'll take it anywhere or that anyone will listen if they do, but it's far more likely to have an impact than any online petition.

For legalisation I can't see it happening because so many people think that drugs being illegal means nobody takes them, the actual option infront of us is to have a multi-billion pound industry with severe health consequences managed by criminals or have it managed by doctors.

Comment

Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
                  Exactly this ^

The government could raise extra tax through producing it and selling it through pharmacies etc
                  Opium grows naturally too. So what? "You can make money from it" is hardly a great argument.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    Opium grows naturally too. So what? "You can make money from it" is hardly a great argument.
                    Not just money the government would control the supply for it, the government makes truckloads of cash from tobacco and alcohol. How is this any different?
                    In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
                      Not just money the government would control the supply for it, the government makes truckloads of cash from tobacco and alcohol. How is this any different?
                      They're not being asked to legalise tobacco and alcohol.

The government is already trying to control the supply of illegal drugs

Comment

Working...
                      X