• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Earning more money; bagging the fabulous job you have always wanted ...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I read it thanks. I'm sure anyone earning 100k would be a lot more unhappy earning 50k. Money is the blocker to most things. If that weren't the case we wouldn't all be contracting and working on plan b's.

Money only isn't going to make you happy but it will provide you with the means to pursue things that do.

Comment

Originally posted by TheLordDave View Post
      I read it thanks. I'm sure anyone earning 100k would be a lot more unhappy earning 50k. Money is the blocker to most things. If that weren't the case we wouldn't all be contracting and working on plan b's.

Money only isn't going to make you happy but it will provide you with the means to pursue things that do.
      When you get struck down with a debilitating or life threatening illness, or have to take care of someone who does you will probably modify that.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Not at all, my partner was very very ill for a number of years and I nearly lost her. Contracting and the money it brought allowed us to not lose our house due to her being unable to work and to pay for any treatment she needed, in fact that's why I started contracting with no savings at all and 30k of debts. Now 4 years later she is able to go back to uni and retrain to have another stab at life and finding a career that will make her happy.

Comment

I know someone who has decided to take a siginificant drop in pay and is totally excited about it.

But she will now have a life.
          Last edited by BlasterBates; 31 May 2015, 20:21.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

The point of non-increasing happiness obviously varies for each individual. The research has shown (and again, this isn't new) that for most people there is a point where additional income won't affect their happiness level. Sure, if you're on a higher income, spend all of it, and then drop to a lower income you'll probably be a bit miserable, but the article is about increasing income.

However, if you typically don't spend to the max and simply accrue additional wealth, then an income drop won't make you miserable. My income last year was 33% more than in previous years. This year I don't expect to get as much, so I'm experiencing a drop in income of 25%. That won't affect my happiness one jot.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

The article was written by Sarah Knapton, Science Editor of the Telegraph, author of such articles as "Parents can be 'too nice' to their children", "Babies 'can sniff out remedies they need for healing'" and "Energy-saving lightbulbs can prevent good sleep".

She's either phoning it in, thick as two planks or an awesome troll.

Comment

Originally posted by wonderboy View Post
                "Energy-saving lightbulbs can prevent good sleep".
                I've tested this. It didn't matter which lightbulbs I used, I didn't sleep well. Finally the wife got fed up and told me to turn the thing off at night, and it worked a trick.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                  Money can't buy you love but it can buy you a lot of poontang
                  100% true.
                  'Real' money can turn any man, irrespective of his age, looks, background or history into a male no woman can resist. If that's not happiness for a man I don't know what is.

From the book/TV series 'Human Instinct' by Dr. Robert Winston ..

"Women on the whole, prefer high-status ambitious males. How do these men show women their status ? They display symbols of their financial and social superiority. I am reminded of my trip to Los Angeles to make the programme on sex in the Human Instinct series. The BBC had arranged for four fashionable women to sit at an outdoor cafe on a smart Beverley Hills boulevard. They were given cards to score the next male to drive up and sit at the next table on the sidewalk. Unknown to them, my producer had persuaded the cafe owner to keep the table for me. I drove up in an old banger, a Ford obtained from one of the local film studios. I wore a jumper and torn trousers, with dirty sneakers. When the ladies held up cards like ice-rink judges, my four scores were 0, 0, 1, 0, average 0.25.

The next day I had a manicure at a beauty salon and a shampoo and haircut done by Laurent, who does Gwyneth Paltrow's and Meg Ryan's hair. I wore a twenty-five-thousand-dollar set of cufflinks borrowed from Harry Winston's, a thirty-thousand dollar diamond studded watch from Cartier, and a Versace suit and tie from Rodeo Drive. And I was driving a brand-new open top Bentley worth a quarter of a million dollars. As I walked past the same table and sat down, the cards went up: 10, 9, 10, 10, average 9.75"

Same guy, same actions - drive, walk sit.
                  Day 1: Not a glance from women
                  Day 2: Irresistible to women

Comment

Originally posted by SunnyInHades View Post
                    100% true.
                    'Real' money can turn any man, irrespective of his age, looks, background or history into a male no woman can resist. If that's not happiness for a man I don't know what is.

"Women on the whole, prefer high-status ambitious males. How do these men show women their status ? They display symbols of their financial and social superiority. I am reminded of my trip to Los Angeles to make the programme on sex in the Human Instinct series. The BBC had arranged for four fashionable women to sit at an outdoor cafe on a smart Beverley Hills boulevard. They were given cards to score the next male to drive up and sit at the next table on the sidewalk. Unknown to them, my producer had persuaded the cafe owner to keep the table for me. I drove up in an old banger, a Ford obtained from one of the local film studios. I wore a jumper and torn trousers, with dirty sneakers. When the ladies held up cards like ice-rink judges, my four scores were 0, 0, 1, 0, average 0.25.

The next day I had a manicure at a beauty salon and a shampoo and haircut done by Laurent, who does Gwyneth Paltrow's and Meg Ryan's hair. I wore a twenty-five-thousand-dollar set of cufflinks borrowed from Harry Winston's, a thirty-thousand dollar diamond studded watch from Cartier, and a Versace suit and tie from Rodeo Drive. And I was driving a brand-new open top Bentley worth a quarter of a million dollars. As I walked past the same table and sat down, the cards went up: 10, 9, 10, 10, average 9.75"

This is why I drive the highest spec Passat I can afford.

Comment

Originally posted by SunnyInHades View Post
                      100% true.

"Women on the whole, prefer high-status ambitious males. How do these men show women their status ? They display symbols of their financial and social superiority.
                      If he had well groomed and neatly but economically dressed without the status symbols he would have probably have had a reasonable score. Poor science.

The judges were selected to prefer status symbols as well.

But generally I would prefer to be miserable in comfort rather than in poverty.
                      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                      X