• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

zero and oh!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

me too...
    Join IPSE

Comment

Comment

I always do a stroke through the 7, and through the z, but that's because I have lived in mainland Europe much more than in the UK: the "continental" 1 has a pronounced leading upstroke (to distinguish it from the "i") so a British 7 can easily be confused with it; and the European 2 does not have a loop or twist at the bottom left so could be confused with a z. Actually I learned that z in undergraduate maths even before Europe.

But the slash through the zero is pure and simple: coding sheets.

That's from when WFH meant taking a few coding pads home with you.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
          Just found myself writing a zero as ∅, again. Does anyone else still do that, or am I a dinosaur?
          I learned to code on coding sheets which used to get sent away to be punched. As I was a junior programmer mine were only single punched so I had to make the corrections myself on the old Rand-Sperry punch card machine or a hand punch when that went wrong. The senior programmers used to have the luxury of having their programs double punched which cost extra.

I cross my zeros and top and tail my i's to this day.
          ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
            +1 both zeros and sevens get that treatment from me.
            Ditt0 ™
            I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
              Just found myself writing a zero as ∅, again. Does anyone else still do that, or am I a dinosaur?
              Yep I always do that, although people sometimes ask "is that an 8 ?", which makes me want to pull their ears off!

I don't cross my sevens though, as that is more of a continental thing. Had loads of Frenchmen ringing my phone number a few years ago because it contained a "1" which the daft twats had obviously written with a large hook at the top just like a "7".
              Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

I cross 7s & I cross Zs.

I don't cross 0s though.

It was never a problem since I used mini & micros, so never had the luxury of someone else typing in my code.

The Zs can get confusing in them hard sums wot I used to do with impedances and such like.

Differentiating between Z and 2 could be quite important.

Comment

I cross 0's & 7's, never done coding so no idea where I got the habit; not seen the crossed z's thou
                  Growing old is mandatory
                  Growing up is optional

Comment

I'm a 7 and Z man myself. I picked up the habit from maths, not because I'm resident in continental Europe. I only use a Ø in a computing or set theoretic context.

I used to do x as but I seem to have lost that habit.
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

My Gs look like 6s.

Dunno whether I cross or not - think I'm random, sometimes do, sometimes don't.

Comment

Working...
                      X