Top up your pension...
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 51
  1. #1

    TPAFKAk2p2

    mudskipper is a fount of knowledge

    mudskipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Null island
    Posts
    24,765
    Thanks (Given)
    807
    Thanks (Received)
    1365
    Likes (Given)
    6237
    Likes (Received)
    4883

    Default Top up your pension...

    ... before the money grabbing bastards take more of your hard-earned

    Conservatives also announce plans to cut pension tax relief

    Assuming they do something along the lines of limiting relief to basic rate, I wonder if this would affect company contributions?

  2. #2

    TykeLike

    SimonMac is a fount of knowledge

    SimonMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    God's Own Republic Of Yorkshire
    Posts
    22,192
    Thanks (Given)
    226
    Thanks (Received)
    1130
    Likes (Given)
    808
    Likes (Received)
    2986

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    ... before the money grabbing bastards take more of your hard-earned

    Conservatives also announce plans to cut pension tax relief

    Assuming they do something along the lines of limiting relief to basic rate, I wonder if this would affect company contributions?
    If you pay just from the company you should be ok, but be careful as the lifetime limit (IE the maximum a pension can pay out) has already been cut from £1.5m to £1.25m, a few of us could hit that limit if they start early and invest well but for old folks like you you should be set
    “Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”

    ― Marcus Aurelius

  3. #3

    Should post faster

    alphadog is too good to be a permie


    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    169
    Thanks (Given)
    1
    Thanks (Received)
    6
    Likes (Given)
    31
    Likes (Received)
    29

    Default

    Locking money away in a long term pension feels like a ticking time bomb to me.

    Only a matter of time before a future government ends up devaluing the pound/taxes them/changes the rules again/inflates them into oblivion?

  4. #4

    Richer than sasguru

    DimPrawn is a fount of knowledge

    DimPrawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Brexit Britain
    Posts
    32,719
    Thanks (Given)
    270
    Thanks (Received)
    735
    Likes (Given)
    4273
    Likes (Received)
    3585

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alphadog View Post
    Locking money away in a long term pension feels like a ticking time bomb to me.

    Only a matter of time before a future government ends up devaluing the pound/taxes them/changes the rules again/inflates them into oblivion?
    They can take away my pension, but they will never take away my immense Tory/Tax Payer supported BTL Portfolio!
    If you look really hard, really really hard, you will find Doom™ everywhere.

  5. #5

    Godlike

    jamesbrown - scorchio!

    jamesbrown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    5,255
    Thanks (Given)
    69
    Thanks (Received)
    373
    Likes (Given)
    561
    Likes (Received)
    1643

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DimPrawn View Post
    They can take away my pension, but they will never take away my immense Tory/Tax Payer supported BTL Portfolio!
    Once Labour and the SNP get in, BTLers will be squished. Perhaps even in the first (emergency) budget.

  6. #6

    Richer than sasguru

    DimPrawn is a fount of knowledge

    DimPrawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Brexit Britain
    Posts
    32,719
    Thanks (Given)
    270
    Thanks (Received)
    735
    Likes (Given)
    4273
    Likes (Received)
    3585

    Default

    BTLers are like economic cockroaches, invincible even in the face of Labour policy! If they are taqxed more, they just stick the rents up to cover. House prices go up they make tax free gains, house prices go down it just means buy more at a higher yield...

    Labour immigration policy means even more profits!
    If you look really hard, really really hard, you will find Doom™ everywhere.

  7. #7

    My post count is Majestic

    d000hg - scorchio!

    d000hg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    My house
    Posts
    31,493
    Thanks (Given)
    103
    Thanks (Received)
    382
    Likes (Given)
    165
    Likes (Received)
    1312

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DimPrawn View Post
    They can take away my pension, but they will never take away my immense Tory/Tax Payer supported BTL Portfolio!
    Until they force you to take benefit claimants at state-mandated levels of acceptable rent, or forcibly sell your properties at 70% off.
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Quote Originally Posted by vetran View Post
    Urine is quite nourishing

  8. #8

    Super poster

    centurian has more data than eek


    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    2,832
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    41
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    180

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SimonMac View Post
    If you pay just from the company you should be ok, but be careful as the lifetime limit (IE the maximum a pension can pay out) has already been cut from £1.5m to £1.25m, a few of us could hit that limit if they start early and invest well but for old folks like you you should be set
    Didn't George Osbourne reduce it to £1m in the latest budget.

    In terms of this change, Labour is planning on making a similar change anyway - in fact this one isn't quite as strict. You don't lose all the tax relief - just reduce it to £10k for those earning £210K.

    But once the concept of non-marginal relief has been set - just watch how easily the thresholds will drop.

  9. #9

    Richer than sasguru

    DimPrawn is a fount of knowledge

    DimPrawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Brexit Britain
    Posts
    32,719
    Thanks (Given)
    270
    Thanks (Received)
    735
    Likes (Given)
    4273
    Likes (Received)
    3585

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by d000hg View Post
    Until they force you to take benefit claimants at state-mandated levels of acceptable rent, or forcibly sell your properties at 70% off.
    I think you'll find all the LibLabCon MPs are fully BTL loaded themselves, so it's the only true "safe in any economic event" form of investment.
    If you look really hard, really really hard, you will find Doom™ everywhere.

  10. #10

    Godlike

    jamesbrown - scorchio!

    jamesbrown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    5,255
    Thanks (Given)
    69
    Thanks (Received)
    373
    Likes (Given)
    561
    Likes (Received)
    1643

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DimPrawn View Post
    BTLers are like economic cockroaches, invincible even in the face of Labour policy! If they are taqxed more, they just stick the rents up to cover. House prices go up they make tax free gains, house prices go down it just means buy more at a higher yield...

    Labour immigration policy means even more profits!
    We'll see With the delirious new world of retrospective taxation, the fine print on your BTL investment is going to need adjusting: "the past is not a guide to the past".

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.