Posts 11 to 20 of 51

Faqqed Off

TheFaQQer is a fount of knowledge

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by DimPrawn View Post
    I think you'll find all the LibLabCon MPs are fully BTL loaded themselves, so it's the only true "safe in any economic event" form of investment.
    My last MP was, but then got rid of her BTL portfolio when she became an MP.

I say "got rid of". What I mean to say is that the council (dominated by the party she represents) issued a load of compulsory purchase orders to buy the properties from her at above market rate and then demolish them.

Allegedly.
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership
    Monday 27th November 1230-1330: IPSE Update on the Autumn Budget for contractors. Register here.

Contractor Among Contractors

ZARDOZ is a permanent contractor

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Everytime I look into pensions/annuities it just seems like a bit of a rip off/gamble. These new rules at first looked good but again just seem on closer inspection to be full of tax pitfalls and subject to the whim of future governments. Perhaps worth something if you are close to 55?

Richer than sasguru

DimPrawn is a fount of knowledge

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A pension is just a way to tie up your money so you can't get to it, under every changing rules, with large fees and high risk of loss, with tax deferred to when you take it rather than when you earned it.

For public sector workers on final salary gold plated pensions (think Police for example) as wonderful thing. The Costa Del whatever is rammed with ex coppers playing golf all day aged 50.

For everyone else it's the most stupid place to put their hard earned money possible.
    If you look really hard, really really hard, you will find Doom™ everywhere.

My post count is Majestic

d000hg - scorchio!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by DimPrawn View Post
    For everyone else it's the most stupid place to put their hard earned money possible.
    Not quite. If you can get someone else to match your contributions it's sensible. Not great for contractors in my view, you might as well just put £15k in shares ISA each year.

More broadly, it's a way to lock up your savings if you can't trust yourself not to spend them... for those on salaries that don't leave them able to have the standard of living they would like, that's probably quite valuable. The same principle as buying stamps or putting money in a special jar each week towards Christmas. Not necessary in theory, but people generally aren't great at budgeting, especially when you're saving far further into the future then you can really picture.
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Quote Originally Posted by vetran View Post
    Urine is quite nourishing

Faqqed Off

TheFaQQer is a fount of knowledge

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by d000hg View Post
    Not quite. If you can get someone else to match your contributions it's sensible. Not great for contractors in my view, you might as well just put £15k in shares ISA each year.
    You'd need to get that £15k out of the company somehow first, which could well attract income tax. Having a company pension means you don't have to do that, plus it's an expense so you don't pay corporation tax on it.
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership
    Monday 27th November 1230-1330: IPSE Update on the Autumn Budget for contractors. Register here.

More time posting than coding

Euler is too good to be a permie

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Unless you're a permie or public sector getting free money through matching contributions, standard pensions are a rip off. Property, investment isas, bonds and your own standard investments are the way to go. Property in particular offers inflation proofing. Diversification is key.

TPAFKAk2p2

mudskipper is a fount of knowledge

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    You'd need to get that £15k out of the company somehow first, which could well attract income tax. Having a company pension means you don't have to do that, plus it's an expense so you don't pay corporation tax on it.
    ... and, if it's a concern, that money is "Safe" from an IR35 investigation.

I've put a fair bit into my SIPP in the last 18 months - it's grown by approx 15%. My cash ISA has earned 1.5% interest

Contractor Among Contractors

ZARDOZ is a permanent contractor

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    ... and, if it's a concern, that money is "Safe" from an IR35 investigation.

I've put a fair bit into my SIPP in the last 18 months - it's grown by approx 15%. My cash ISA has earned 1.5% interest
    Thats good but when can you get your money back? To me its no use ploughing in 1/2 million to get 30k a year for a few years, especially when allowing for inflation that will probably be worth little more than minimum wage. Ok new rules mean 125k is mine tax free (minus fees) but that leaves 375k that could end up tied in/lost or erroded. Meanwhile the opportunity cost of less liquid assets could be high

Dimprawn is right the gold plated pensions were a no brainer everything else seems.to be poor by comparison

crap ex-mod

MarillionFan is a fount of knowledge

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    ... before the money grabbing bastards take more of your hard-earned

Conservatives also announce plans to cut pension tax relief

Assuming they do something along the lines of limiting relief to basic rate, I wonder if this would affect company contributions?
    And there was SimonMac questioning my pension top up a couple of weeks ago.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

I live on CUK

SueEllen is a fount of knowledge

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ZARDOZ View Post
    Thats good but when can you get your money back? To me its no use ploughing in 1/2 million to get 30k a year for a few years, especially when allowing for inflation that will probably be worth little more than minimum wage. Ok new rules mean 125k is mine tax free (minus fees) but that leaves 375k that could end up tied in/lost or erroded. Meanwhile the opportunity cost of less liquid assets could be high

Dimprawn is right the gold plated pensions were a no brainer everything else seems.to be poor by comparison
    At 55 when you can take out 25% tax free and take out a larger amount if you are willing to pay the tax on it.

Everything is age and risk related.

The sensible thing is to have investments in more than one thing.

I know people who have ended up losing everything except their pension as it can't be touched.
    Last edited by SueEllen; 15th April 2015 at 03:31.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast