• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Stupid little 'well done' awards

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

we have to send electronic cards saying well done, Only managers can send points.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

I always found it odd that some people need to be thanked for their work. Sure - if you pull an all nighter to get something sorted then a "cheers pal - let me buy a beer" or something is great. But ultimately the degree to which an employer values you is reflected in your salary.

I.e. if I earn more than most others, then that's my 'thankyou' right there. I don't understand why people seem to value words over actions. I think people just often forget (or never realised) that noone is doing anyone any favours - it's simply a trade. And so long as that trade remains equitable then you continue doing business together.

Needing to hear kind words, or some public lauding, feels pretty childish to me. Like when kids are learning how to behave, using treats and praise, before they are yet to learn why they need to behave that way in the first place (i.e. because equitable trades are more productive).

Comment

Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
        Guess most of the clientcos do it.

As long as they don't award summat to a contractor ... !
        Worse still, they award stuff to the BobCo guys too.

Comment

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
          I always found it odd that some people need to be thanked for their work. Sure - if you pull an all nighter to get something sorted then a "cheers pal - let me buy a beer" or something is great. But ultimately the degree to which an employer values you is reflected in your salary.
          unfortunately in many large organisations the level to which you brown nose is reflected in your salary. Your usefulness is not important.
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
            unfortunately in many large organisations the level to which you brown nose is reflected in your salary. Your usefulness is not important.
            lol - I think we're talking about the same clientco.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
              That's the correct way to get to the top
              Join Big Group - don't let them get away with it
              http://www.wttbiggroup.co.uk/

Comment

I 'won' one of those at an old client co. They weren't impressed when I refused to go to the ceremony for it as I stuck to my 'I'm not an employee and that would damage my ir35 status line'

Comment

I like an acknowledgement of my hard work. Like a rate rise.

Comment

When I was at Nationwide I got a medal for releasing my first code change - and 3 dolly birds came to my desk and did a little song and dance routine before draping it round my neck. Something about "Pride, passion and belief" ISTR.

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Robot View Post
                      When I was at Nationwide I got a medal for releasing my first code change - and 3 dolly birds came to my desk and did a little song and dance routine before draping it round my neck. Something about "Pride, passion and belief" ISTR.
                      When I worked on Wall Street selling penny stocks at the end of each week we were rewarded with beer, prostitutes and as much cocaine as we could sniff. One week we had a dwarf tossing competition. Halycon days.
                      What happens in General, stays in General.
                      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
                      X