• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

This Farage Immigrants with HIV Business

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As of now, anyone coming to UK on a temporary visa, i.e. marriage, PBS, etc but not visitors (they need health insurance) will have a £200 surcharge per annum on top of the visa cost. Still cheap....

Another real issue is the amount of birth defect children being bred from immigrants where first cousins are encouraged to marry and there are figures out there so suggest marriage to cousins should be outlawed.

Obviously this doesn't apply to Wales, where marriage to Mothers is normal....

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      The problem with the example of health tourism he used is that people with infectious diseases will keep silent of that fact due to stigma and pass it on to UK citizens. Remember we have no restrictions on who can come in from the EU.

If he used the cases of women exploiting maternity services or anything else with reduced stigma he's point would have been accepted.
      Just want to point out everyone in the EU is insured and their insurance companies cough up for treatment. If they live and work in the UK they pay NI and so are effectively insured in the UK.

If people working in the UK fall ill the UK pays, after all they're insured in the Uk, if they're just visiting the NHS bills the foreign insurance company.

No difference in Switzerland or Norway, if you go there, you pay compulsory insurance and they pick up your bill if you go for treatment for HIV for example.

This whole health tourism is a complete non-issue.
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
        Just want to point out everyone in the EU is insured and their insurance companies cough up for treatment. If they live and work in the UK they pay NI and so are effectively insured in the UK.

If people working in the UK fall ill the UK pays, after all they're insured in the Uk, if they're just visiting the NHS bills the foreign insurance company.

No difference in Switzerland or Norway, if you go there, you pay compulsory insurance and they pick up your bill if you go for treatment for HIV for example.

This whole health tourism is a complete non-issue.
        You can point that out but the fact people have a different skin colour but are European citizens by birth or heritage, or are born in a non-European country even if they lived there from aged 3 in one, is enough for certain people to point that out.

The statistics on foreign born are and have always been useless to anyone born and brought up in London.

In regards to the healthcare risk about infectious diseases there has been evidence of one or more European countries causing "problems" for the NHS. For example TB is more prevalent in some European countries' populations than the UK.
        Last edited by SueEllen; 4 April 2015, 22:31.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Re: This Farage Immigrants with HIV Business

Originally posted by stek View Post
          As of now, anyone coming to UK on a temporary visa, i.e. marriage, PBS, etc but not visitors (they need health insurance) will have a £200 surcharge per annum on top of the visa cost. Still cheap....

Another real issue is the amount of birth defect children being bred from immigrants where first cousins are encouraged to marry and there are figures out there so suggest marriage to cousins should be outlawed.

Obviously this doesn't apply to Wales, where marriage to Mothers is normal....
          You may as well spell it out like Anne Cryer did.

Some people from Pakistan and the middle East think there is no issue in first cousin marriage even if that pattern is multi-generational.*

Unfortunately I knew a family where this wasn't a problem for their children until it effected their oldest daughter who moved away from the UK. Luckily all the rest of the children rebelled and married who they liked including people who had to learn about their religion. Though they were sensible and choose good partners

*I actually know someone who is a White British person who did the same. Oh and both partners weren't low in intelligence.

Comment

Oh well. Perhaps it's like the Guardian says & this 54% of new cases each year being from overseas can be explained by returning Britons who are infected

But the bigger issue is this seizing of the moral high ground and trying to make out that anyone who doesn't agree with the policy is some kind of Nazi.

I've worked in several countries where HIV screening is the norm & I've always kind of assumed it was the way of the world....
            Last edited by Gumbo Robot; 5 April 2015, 08:00.

Comment

*I actually know someone who is a White British person who did the same. Oh and both partners weren't low in intelligence.
              Is that person Welsh?

Comment

Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
                Is that person Welsh?
                Nope and they aren't from Norfolk either.

Comment

Nope and they aren't from Norfolk either.
                  Then they should be Scottish. Fecking haggis neepers!

Comment

Which is worse:

- denying treatment for people who have paid for it and giving it to those that have not, or
                    - giving it to those that have paid for it and denying it to those that have not?

I think the latter is ethically more palatable, but it would appear that many many people (somewhere around 50% according to polls) think that we can have *both* - i.e. run a health service for literally anyone.

This seems somewhat disconnected from reality.
                    Last edited by wonderboy; 5 April 2015, 15:06.

Comment

Originally posted by wonderboy View Post
                      Which is worse:

- denying treatment for people who have paid for it and giving it to those that have not, or
                      - giving it to those that have paid for it and denying it to those that have not?

I think the latter is ethically more palatable, but it would appear that many many people (somewhere around 50% according to polls) think that we can have *both* - i.e. run a health service for literally anyone.

This seems somewhat disconnected from reality.
                      Children don't put into healthcare before they receive it. It's given to them on the promise that they will be future tax payers.

Some will be but some will emigrate before they start contributing.

Likewise some tax payers from other nations pay in more than the help they receive.

Comment

Working...
                      X