• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Permie "Job security" is a myth

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Avalonia View Post
    When I hear quotes like ' dead wood ' I think 'I hope you get outsourced and fired '. And I hope as many outsourced projects go tits up as possible
    I'm my own boss, so I can't get fired unless I want to.

That aside, you prefer to see people keep their jobs not because of the value they add - but because they happened to have been there for a decade without bothering to keep themselves relevant in the marketplace?

Comment

When I hear quotes like ' dead wood ' I think 'I hope you get outsourced and fired '. And I hope as many outsourced projects go tits up as possible
      That's pretty stupid considering many UK companies are doing work for foreign clients.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Spoken like a true permie (and trade union rep).

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          Saying job "security is a myth" is a little disingenuous though. Sure, you don't have absolute security but you'd be a very unlucky (or useless) permie to end up with your average employment duration being under 3 years, not including cases where you quit. I don't know how long the average contract stint is - maybe a year? - but a contractor expects to find a new gig about once a year whereas a permie wouldn't. You will get unlucky sometimes and laid off, but on average you will still get much longer stints.
          Indeed I have had 3 perm jobs two lasted about 5 years...

current one is 6 years in and going quite well - went perm here after 2 years of contracting

tbh iwpncotbac

Comment

'I'm my own boss and don't get fired unless I want to ' yes sure then what are you doing on here then big shot?

Comment

I was parachuted into a permie role in Germany not speaking a lick of German, with family in tow. It was an outsourcing contract that wasn't on solid ground. I was constantly reminded (after arrival), that if the contract went south, and I couldn't secure anything else in Germany, within 3 months I'd be out on the street...In Germany.

One can be very insecure in permanent employment, and constantly reminded of it. I like contracting because it is a more honest relationship between the end client and the person doing the work. No BS about company loyalty and all that...It is an economic transaction.

Comment

Redundant 4 times in 10 years when I was permie. Admitedly last one was voluntary.

Only this voluntary one and one other did it properly. Other two companies couldnt even be arsed to follow procedures.
                One MD of small company just thought he could decide one day and that was it, another one made up complaints about unlucky employees and said sign this agreement and get one months pay or we'll pay you bugger all.

When you get legal advice you realise how little rights or security you actually have.
                Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
                  Indeed I have had 3 perm jobs two lasted about 5 years...

current one is 6 years in and going quite well - went perm here after 2 years of contracting

tbh iwpncotbac
                  Because you are tulipe or just unlucky?

just asking

Comment

Originally posted by turbowoowoo View Post
                    Because you are tulipe or just unlucky?

just asking
                    Because sometimes you wake up and realise yolo ;-)

Comment

"they can't get rid of me, I have been here 20 years, 20 months salary as redundancy to get shot of me"

And permies wonder why clients hire contractors.

Comment

Working...
                      X