• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Swansea - Any nice bits and which parts to avoid

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On a serious note, considering a contract in Swansea and likely to stay over rather than do the 2.5 - 3hr driving / train thing.

On Google earth Swansea looks a bit iffy (sorry of you live there).
    Does anyone know what the nice parts are and what are the parts to avoid.

I guess a good rule of thumb is the cost of rental but that does not always work out as true.

Also, if I was there for a weekend then what are the sights.

Originally posted by worzelGummidge View Post
    On a serious note, considering a contract in Swansea and likely to stay over rather than do the 2.5 - 3hr driving / train thing.

I guess a good rule of thumb is the cost of rental but that does not always work out as true.

Best part of Wales is the Eastbound M4

Comment

Originally posted by turbowoowoo View Post
      Best part of Wales is the Eastbound M4
      lol. It will be on Fridays.

Comment

New Year's Eve 2012: Shameful scenes of booze-fuelled chaos in cities across Britain | Daily Mail Online

Comment

Mumbles is nice and that's about it really. Ask Zeity as I think he lives in Swansea.
          "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

I stayed in Uplands in the Hurst Dene, £45 a night bedroom, living/dining room, kitchen, ensuite shower etc, lovely. Decent area too, studenty so lots of takeaways and open till late shops. Uplands Tavern has live music, and was Dylan Thomas' local.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
              I stayed in Uplands in the Hurst Dene, £45 a night bedroom, living/dining room, kitchen, ensuite shower etc, lovely. Decent area too, studenty so lots of takeaways and open till late shops. Uplands Tavern has live music, and was Dylan Thomas' local.
              Uplands and Mumbles. Thanks. That area on Google Earth looks better than the other bits. Next to the beach too. Sorted.
              Good running route along there then.

Reference the girl taking the tree for a walk. lol.

Comment

Reference the girl taking the tree for a walk. lol.
                "I didn't take it see, someone planted it on me, honest to god....."

Comment

Gower is nice if you fancy a drive to see some quality beaches. Killay and Sketty good areas too but bit further from city centre. Working for a big govt agency by any chance?

Comment

There's flats aplenty to rent down near the marina. These are a short walk away from the city centre.

Places to avoid. If you enjoy your heroin then head to Townhill though there's plenty in other areas too (their names escape me sorry ). As a general rule the better the area the closer it is to the seafront though the marina developments I mentioned in my first paragraph have a slightly ghostly quality to them.

In terms of hotels - the dilemma is finding one near the centre that you can park near for free. High end is Morgans. I can't think of any others except for low end B&B's - there are a plethora of them on Oystermouth Road. We are talking circa £18-20. They normally seem to have vans parked outside. It's a twenty minute jaunt on foot into town though there's a decent pub/Thai restaurant near (hasselhoff was a regular there).

Bring a brolly.

Edit: Mumbles isn't my cup of tea. But if you fancy being miles out of town with not too much around then be my guest. They have half a dozen restaurants and a few pubs though it's quite a hike from one end of Mumbles to the other.

Weekends - it has to be The Gower. Plenty of walking / water sports. Or you can take up flying lessons at Swansea Airport. Or go and watch The Ospreys play rugby, maybe.

Do we , errm , have a sale, then?

Edit2: All men should ensure that at least once in their lives they experience the sights and sounds of Wind Street on a Wednesday night.
                    Last edited by I just need to test it; 31 January 2015, 06:44.

Comment

Working...
                    X