• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Panic Attacks

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Panic Attacks

I've got this mate who's a contractor. He's not normally prone to panic attacks but of late he's had a few.

He works away a lot, and has a young family, so naturally he worries about his health. Not much of a gym junky, but of late he's been hitting the gym a lot and has lost quite a bit of weight and looks much slimmer and is clearly a lot fitter.

He has to watch his blood pressure a bit as this has been diagnosed as grade 1 hypertension, but a mild dose of a bp med keeps it in check generally.

Last night he calls be as suddenly his BP has spiked. Quite high in fact. I told him to try and calm down, meditate and just generally chill. He did this and it eventually came back down to normal levels.

It surprised me just how powerful an effect a panic attack can have on blood pressure. I told him to go back to the quacks and see what the doctor can prescribe to balance him out a bit, but he seems reluctant.

Anyone on here suffer from panic attacks? How do you keep them in check? Medication? Yoga? Zen?
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

He should see a doc. It can escalate into a chronic condition, where just the thought of a panic attack brings one on.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
      He should see a doc. It can escalate into a chronic condition, where just the thought of a panic attack brings one on.
      I have a variation of that problem. Just the mere thought of a Suity post has me reaching for the smilie.

On a more appropriate note WNS. Unless you treat it asap, it will get slowly worse until it reaches the point he describes.... Oh and you really need to solve the cause of the panic attacks as well not just relieving the symptoms. If your "friend" is not cut out to be a contractor he needs to find something less stressful to do.

Is there much demand for waterproof mattress cover testers?
      Last edited by eek; 14 January 2015, 09:06.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
        I have a variation of that problem. Just the mere thought of a Suity post has me reaching for the smilie.

On a more appropriate note WNS. Unless you treat it asap, it will get slowly worse until it reaches the point he describes.... Oh and you really need to solve the cause of the panic attacks as well not just relieving the systems. If your "friend" is not cut out to be a contractor he needs to find something less stressful to do.

Is there much demand for waterproof mattress cover testers?
        Attention seeker alert!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The odd thing is, this 'contractor mate' has a wealth of options open to him when his BP spikes and gives him such concern that he needs medical advice and the first thing he does is phone Suity.

Maybe he felt drip feeding would be the best treatment

Comment

Originally posted by tractor View Post
          Attention seeker alert!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The odd thing is, this 'contractor mate' has a wealth of options open to him when his BP spikes and gives him such concern that he needs medical advice and the first thing he does is phone Suity.

Maybe he felt drip feeding would be the best treatment
          Care to drip feed?

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
            I've got this mate who's a contractor. He's not normally prone to panic attacks but of late he's had a few.

He works away a lot, and has a young family, so naturally he worries about his health. Not much of a gym junky, but of late he's been hitting the gym a lot and has lost quite a bit of weight and looks much slimmer and is clearly a lot fitter.

He has to watch his blood pressure a bit as this has been diagnosed as grade 1 hypertension, but a mild dose of a bp med keeps it in check generally.

Last night he calls be as suddenly his BP has spiked. Quite high in fact. I told him to try and calm down, meditate and just generally chill. He did this and it eventually came back down to normal levels.

It surprised me just how powerful an effect a panic attack can have on blood pressure. I told him to go back to the quacks and see what the doctor can prescribe to balance him out a bit, but he seems reluctant.

Anyone on here suffer from panic attacks? How do you keep them in check? Medication? Yoga? Zen?
            Perez. This is not the diary room. Go and have a chat with Katie, she'll make you feel better.
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Care to drip feed?
              well I'll start - MTFU.
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                well I'll start - MTFU.
                or

Comment

Care to drip feed?
                  Why drip feed when everyone knows you're an attention seeking fantasist with a protracted history of spam posting made up bollocks?

There's no mystery to this.

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
                    Why drip feed when everyone knows you're an attention seeking fantasist with a protracted history of spam posting made up bollocks?

There's no mystery to this.
                    Thanks for the feedback. I shall pass this onti my friend.

Comment

Working...
                    X