• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Panic Attacks

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had one, once (I think). It was very scary.

It was shortly after I started some medication, and I'm guessing was a side effect, although somewhat conversely the drugs were ones that are used to treat panic attacks (which I'd never suffered from).

So if you're on new tablets (esp. ADs), check with doc whether they can cause that.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
      I've got this mate who's a contractor. He's not normally prone to panic attacks but of late he's had a few.

He works away a lot, and has a young family, so naturally he worries about his health. Not much of a gym junky, but of late he's been hitting the gym a lot and has lost quite a bit of weight and looks much slimmer and is clearly a lot fitter.

He has to watch his blood pressure a bit as this has been diagnosed as grade 1 hypertension, but a mild dose of a bp med keeps it in check generally.

Last night he calls be as suddenly his BP has spiked. Quite high in fact. I told him to try and calm down, meditate and just generally chill. He did this and it eventually came back down to normal levels.

It surprised me just how powerful an effect a panic attack can have on blood pressure. I told him to go back to the quacks and see what the doctor can prescribe to balance him out a bit, but he seems reluctant.

Anyone on here suffer from panic attacks? How do you keep them in check? Medication? Yoga? Zen?

"Contractor mate", yeah right.
      Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
        I had one, once (I think). It was very scary.

It was shortly after I started some medication, and I'm guessing was a side effect, although somewhat conversely the drugs were ones that are used to treat panic attacks (which I'd never suffered from).

So if you're on new tablets (esp. ADs), check with doc whether they can cause that.
        If you can't get to a doc, side effects will be listed in the drugs instructions. If the side effect is not listed or you dont have the instructions take the drugs to a pharmacy abd they can look it up. Likewise if you are taking multiple drugs go straight to the pharmacist
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
          "Contractor mate", yeah right.
          Etiquette
          Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
            If you can't get to a doc, side effects will be listed in the drugs instructions. If the side effect is not listed or you dont have the instructions take the drugs to a pharmacy abd they can look it up. Likewise if you are taking multiple drugs go straight to the pharmacist
            It is listed, but not as a common side effect. Only happened once.

Comment

I had them years ago due to a major stressful situation. They went once the situation resolved.

On the other hand I know a couple of people who had major stressful situations where fine, but now minor stress triggers them.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                I had them years ago due to a major stressful situation. They went once the situation resolved.

On the other hand I know a couple of people who had major stressful situations where fine, but now minor stress triggers them.
                His entire life is a major stressful situation.

Comment

His entire life is a major stressful situation.
                  Is he an attention seeker too ?!

Comment

Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
                    Is he an attention seeker too ?!

Comment

There is no mental illness that cannot be sorted by a nice massage

Comment

Working...
                      X