• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Panic Attacks

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. I shall pass this onti my friend.
    Doctor, now! Find the source, work on fixing the source and get some medication. I knew someone this happened to and they were quite ill and for quite a long time because of not going to the doctor. Once they worked on why it was happening and and visited the doctor they now have a reasonably good life.
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

You have come to the right place for advise.

While it is none of anyone's business/interest to know my health issues and not in anyway in my interest to discuss them, I've been a regular bitch to panic attacks for over 10 years.

First port of call is to visit a GP as it could be anything in this big wide world that could have caused panic attacks. The resulting anxiety due to the attack manifests itself in the form of high BP in a good number of cases(including mine). Once the doctor is satisfied that it is a fecked up 'fight or flight' mechanism in the brain, it is time for medication. I will feck you not, this medication is not a one night affair and it is like getting stuck with an ugly wife for the rest of your life.

There are however "alternatives" that everyone is usually aware of but not many have the will to follow. Yes, the likes of meditation help quite well, only if you can find time and not get stressed if it takes some months to notice a difference. A combination of medication and meditation helps in the long run, but then in the long run we are all dead.

The "scientific" snake oil that NHS sells us in the name of CBT is just another time wasting measure IMHO(feck it, IMO!). I found meditating to Progressive trance much more soothing. And despite 10 years of medication, I still have a few episodes a week. The side effect of medication is that one gains weight. I gained 27 kilograms in 5 years as the medication makes you feel hungry and depressed all the time, so the tendency to comfort eat is very high! Next time you b@sterds make fun of my weight ......

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
        Doctor, now! Find the source, work on fixing the source and get some medication. I knew someone this happened to and they were quite ill and for quite a long time because of not going to the doctor. Once they worked on why it was happening and and visited the doctor they now have a reasonably good life.
        The source of the panic attacks or the high BP?
        Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

The source of the panic attacks or the high BP?
          source of the panic attacks if you are already taking drugs for high BP...
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
            source of the panic attacks if you are already taking drugs for high BP...
            oh yeah

Comment

What about self medicating?

Comment

What about self medicating?

A "friend" of mine tried it, but it never helped. It instead made things worse.

Comment

Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

If you suffer from high blood pressure and aren't taking medication to reduce it, then you need to get that sorted. Ace inhibitor, beta blocker, alpha blocker are the usual levels of escalation. If you still have high blood pressure and aren't on the maximum doses of all of those, then you need to ask your doctor why. It's not just a case of getting back to the borderline, you need to be targeting a good result before it's too late - I had no symptoms of high blood pressure, right up until my stroke. That was an indicator that something needed to be sorted!

Then discuss the panic attacks if they still continue. If they are continuing and the blood pressure is under control, then at least you know they aren't related to the blood pressure issues. From there, I'd suggest counselling and looking at something like prozac (or whatever the generic is) to see if that helps. It may be something that you need to medicate, it may be something that you don't but it's obviously an issue that you need to get resolved.

Make sure you tell your doctor everything you can think of that might be relevant - to be it sounds like you have high blood pressure combined with depression, but that's just my layman's diagnosis based on having suffered with both of them in the past. If I'm right, then it's an awful situation to be in, and I really feel for you. Even if you don't feel "depressed" that doesn't mean that you aren't suffering from depression - being able to confront the problem and get it resolved takes strength, courage and resolve. Your first step is talking to an expert - I'd suggest doing that ASAFP and stepping away from CUK where you aren't going to get the support that you need.

Good luck, and I hope you're better soon
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                      Your first step is talking to an expert - I'd suggest doing that ASAFP and stepping away from CUK where you aren't going to get the support that you need.

Good luck, and I hope you're better soon
                      ^ This

Why am I not surprised that you won the CUK award?!

Comment

Working...
                      X