• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

UK told to pay £1.7bn extra to EU

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by petergriffin View Post
    It's not so much that it was covered up but that the parameters for the recalculations had been known for at least 18 months. So this shouldn't have been a surprise. In fact this doesn't even make the news in the continent.
    what the EU screwing over the Brits? I should imagine not.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
      what the EU screwing over the Brits? I should imagine not.
      The EU (the institution) is not screwing over the Brits (the people) any more than the successive UK governments have screwed the British people.

A more correct statement would be that the Germans are screwing the rest of Europe over.
      <Insert idea here> will never be adopted because the politicians are in the pockets of the banks!

Comment

I don't know if it has been posted before but here it is:
        Documento financial times

Make a copy before they remove it.
        <Insert idea here> will never be adopted because the politicians are in the pockets of the banks!

Comment

I love it. The EU is doing to the UK what they do, or would do unto us. The more we earn the more they tax us. Wasn't it Mr Cameron who said " We are all in this together and those with the broadest shoulders should pay the lions share "
          Dear Mr Cameron and Mr Clegg. You have tought us not to be successful because if we earn too much you will tax us. You have tought us if we save for a mansion you will tax it and if heaven forbid we save for a pension you will tax it.
          Yes, Mr Cameron, lead by example and pay your fair share of tax.

Comment

They'll probably use this as an excuse to tax more and stick us with the bill for it, rather than realise the contradictions inherent in this stance. I agree, this bill should be disputed, but then so should much of what the government via HMRC does, as it's based on the same bollocks "principles".

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
            Thanks for link

For Euroskeptics, a doom-laden article by Ambrose Evans-Pritchard is a special treat
            Some of it is good, and yet some seems to merely be a repetition of the assertion that an economy isn't like a househould (ironic, considering the origin of the term) and the belief that you can just borrow and pay it back with money magicked out of thin air, and suffer no repercussions for it. Yes, Germany isn't in the best place in the world right now, but who's to say that, longer term, countries that do rely on these "techniques" (I prefer the term theft) will prosper in the future. The US can extend this much farther than others due to the petrodollar. It has been lucky that things like fracking and reshoring have helped stall its decline, but there is only so much you can massage the facts. Ironically, the UK stuck itself in this position precisely through said massaging.
            Last edited by Zero Liability; 24 October 2014, 18:32.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
              Our only position in Europe is to pay up.
              I say put them on a new programme called 'Big Issue EU'.

Comment

Austrian Chancellor Werner Faymann on Cameron’s refusal to pay the £1.7 billion EU bill by December 1st:

“Well, then he’s gonna pay on December 2nd”

Comment

You would have thought the city of london could have found a way to restructure the UK GDP, or made all these extra bills tax deductible. You just cant get decent crooks and frauds these days.

Comment

Originally posted by petergriffin View Post
                    Don't expect linearity and consistency in people's political views. And surely I don't expect it from you. You have clearly expressed openly racist views in your posts. In fact the Little Englander remarks was not meant for you. A proper Little Englander should be embarrassed to be on your side, yet UKIP (BNP-lite) manage to have you both in their boat.
                    Redacted
                    Last edited by Freaki Li Cuatre; 24 October 2014, 22:01.

Comment

We should just get the Bank of England to "Print" £2,000,000,000 and give it to the French.

Remind them what they lost when they gave away their currency.

Comment

Working...
                      X