• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What Climate change?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pjclarke View Post
    And land ice is disappearing at both ends of the world.
    Land ice has been disappearing since the 17th century, so what should the conclusion be?

Disappearing land ice isn't evidence of "Man made" global warming.

The fact that temperatures rise for 20 years is also not evidence of man made global warming. Global warming stopped in the late 1990's.

Temperatures have risen before, and have been steadily rising since the 17th century, that's why the land ice started disappearing.
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Land ice has been disappearing since the 17th century, so what should the conclusion be?
      That Coleman is full of it.

HTH.
      My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
        So all his claims are lies are they? So when a CEO who does not understands technology makes a decision involving how technology is used he/she is not entitled to do so because he is not a trained computer nerd?
        A CEO is entitled to make a decision; but what is asserted here is a question of scientific fact, or otherwise. It's a question of what is true, not a question of making a decision.

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
          I do so within the context of arguing the points on their own merit. As opposed to those who ignore the points completely and revert simply to the person who has made them.
          Wrong, you do so because you curry favour with other morons on this forum and lack the balls to stand by an opinion and debate.

Comment

There's definitely a change of climate in my hotel room tonight due to the curry I ate tonight, maybe thats what it all is, hot air
            Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

The Ukip candidate said: “In Roman times the temperatures were three degrees higher than it is now so don’t tell me this is all about human relationships with the environment, it is much more complex than that.”
              Celsius - since approx. 1744
              Fahrenheit - since approx. 1724
              Kelvin - since approx. 1907

How does he know this?

Attempts of standardized temperature measurement prior to the 17th century were crude at best. For instance in 170 AD, physician Claudius Galenus. mixed equal portions of ice and boiling water to create a "neutral" temperature standard. The modern scientific field has its origins in the works by Florentine scientists in the 1600s including Galileo constructing devices able to measure relative change in temperature, but subject also to confounding with atmospheric pressure. These early devices were called thermoscopes. The first sealed thermometer was constructed in 1641 by the Grand Duke of Toscani, Ferdinand II
              Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                Celsius - since approx. 1744
                Fahrenheit - since approx. 1724
                Kelvin - since approx. 1907

How does he know this?
                Well you cant really know. Heck we cant even measure it that well today.

what we DO know. is that water freezes at roughly zero and that certain crops will only grow where its warm.

So, if the Romans tell us it never froze in the winter and that grapes were grown in abundance in the North east of England, that tells us a little bit of useful info.
                (\__/)
                (>'.'<)
                ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                  Well you cant really know. Heck we cant even measure it that well today.

what we DO know. is that water freezes at roughly zero and that certain crops will only grow where its warm.

So, if the Romans tell us it never froze in the winter and that grapes were grown in abundance in the North east of England, that tells us a little bit of useful info.
                  Still want to know how he knows that the Romans said it was 3 degrees warmer then...

BTW, the Romans attempted to introduce winemaking to England but only as far as Lincolnshire it seems which ain't all that far North plus its on the coast which gets the Gulf Stream which might explain some of the warmth there...

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                    Still want to know how he knows that the Romans said it was 3 degrees warmer then...

BTW, the Romans attempted to introduce winemaking to England but only as far as Lincolnshire it seems which ain't all that far North plus its on the coast which gets the Gulf Stream which might explain some of the warmth there...
                    Lincolnshire is on the other side of the country.
                    plus, I admit I was thinking of that area when I said NE of England, but, so what ??
                    (\__/)
                    (>'.'<)
                    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Prior to the invention of the mercury in glass thermometer in the early 18th century there are no reliably accurate temperature observations, however before that date we can reconstruct temperatures from proxies, such as tree rings, corals, ice cores and lake sediments. These were the basis of the multi-proxy studies that came to be known as the 'hockey stick', because of the upturn in recent decades:

Some proxies do show a medieval warm period and a roman warm period, reaching temperatures approaching modern day values, at least in Europe, but certainly not three degrees warmer than today, whatever scale you use.

But then UKIP have an illustrious history of talking antiscience bollux on climate change. They would repeal the Climate Change act and close down the DECC. For a long time their science spokesman and deputy was Christopher Monckton, a member of the People's Army who is also the Viscount of Benchley, a classics scholar who has been trying to do science, with hilarious results.
                      Last edited by pjclarke; 25 April 2015, 16:38.
                      My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

Working...
                      X