• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Junior agents who are new and come up with crap jobs.....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Junior agents who are new and come up with crap jobs.....

Always the same. No idea at all - usually fresh from their jobs at carphone warehouse.

Had an email conversation with agent. Apparently, cracking role, matches my skillset spot on, great company, interview already lined up if I wanted it - blah blah blah.

So, next question from me - rate/location?

£19-£22K perm, 250 miles from home.

Yes, Im pretty sure my skillset is good for this having been in the industry for 25 years but Im hardly going to move 250 miles for this, am I?
    Thing is the agent had obviously seen my CV so no idea what on earth possessed them to think I might be interested?

And to think clients pay good money (talking perm here) for agents to find them personnel. Surely they can expect something better than the junior doing a keyword search on CVs?

And dont even get me started on perm roles. No Im not interested - dont waste your time. Check my CV - I've been contracting for quite a few years so Im not going to be interested in perm roles generally so dont waste everyones time....
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Always the same. No idea at all - usually fresh from their jobs at carphone warehouse.

Had an email conversation with agent. Apparently, cracking role, matches my skillset spot on, great company, interview already lined up if I wanted it - blah blah blah.

So, next question from me - rate/location?

£19-£22K perm, 250 miles from home.

Yes, Im pretty sure my skillset is good for this having been in the industry for 25 years but Im hardly going to move 250 miles for this, am I?
    Thing is the agent had obviously seen my CV so no idea what on earth possessed them to think I might be interested?

And to think clients pay good money (talking perm here) for agents to find them personnel. Surely they can expect something better than the junior doing a keyword search on CVs?

And dont even get me started on perm roles. No Im not interested - dont waste your time. Check my CV - I've been contracting for quite a few years so Im not going to be interested in perm roles generally so dont waste everyones time....
    I gave up answering to emails years ago when the position either didn't fit my skillset or it was a perm position. I used to think it would be professional to answer them with a polite 'no thanks' and giving my reasons on the assumption that they might have something for me in the future.

I realised that they don't waste time or money calling me back so I just ignore them now. They probably don't even track who they've sent out to because I never get a follow up email if I don't respond.

Comment

I read the thread title and guessed the moronic poster before I got to the end of it.

Agents adopt a search and blast email approach as that is how the software they use works.

Heck there are agents who I speak to and will happily drink with who send me the same inappropriate emails once in a while.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
        I read the thread title and guessed the moronic poster before I got to the end of it.

Agents adopt a search and blast carpet bomb email approach as that is how the software they use works.

Heck there are agents who I speak to and will happily drink with who send me the same inappropriate emails once in a while.
        FTFY...

No mystery to most of us that Agents don't read CV's they just skim for a word or two.
        It costs them no more to send out 1,000 emails than 3 so why would they target? If they trawl up one or two candidates from a carpet bomb mail why would they care?

Comment

I never reply to the carpet bomb emails. Except, like the other day, when I get emails about completely and utterly inappropriate roles, addressed to the wrong person.

'Hi Brenda, we have an opportunity for a window cleaner in Bradford. Might you be interested?'
          Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
          +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
            I never reply to the carpet bomb emails. Except, like the other day, when I get emails about completely and utterly inappropriate roles, addressed to the wrong person.

'Hi Brenda, we have an opportunity for a window cleaner in Bradford. Might you be interested?'
            A window cleaner in Bradford needs sandpaper rather than a chamois........
            When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

I had an e-mail followed up by a call from a 'Senior Recruiter' (title in his e-mail). After a couple of minutes asking questions about the role, none of which he really seemed to understand or be able to answer, we moved onto the current state of the market.

It was at this point he mentioned he didn't really have any frame of reference for how things had been previously as he'd only worked in recruitment for 3 weeks
              ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
                I had an e-mail followed up by a call from a 'Senior Recruiter' (title in his e-mail). After a couple of minutes asking questions about the role, none of which he really seemed to understand or be able to answer, we moved onto the current state of the market.

It was at this point he mentioned he didn't really have any frame of reference for how things had been previously as he'd only worked in recruitment for 3 weeks

I like the 'how are you finding the market?' question.
                Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
                +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post

I like the 'how are you finding the market?' question.
                  The farmers' market is better than the regular Saturday market.

Comment

Originally posted by Batcher View Post
                    I gave up answering to emails years ago when the position either didn't fit my skillset or it was a perm position. I used to think it would be professional to answer them with a polite 'no thanks' and giving my reasons on the assumption that they might have something for me in the future.

I realised that they don't waste time or money calling me back so I just ignore them now. They probably don't even track who they've sent out to because I never get a follow up email if I don't respond.
                    I only reply to those emails around renewal/end of contract time, even if it is only to say "I'm only interested for contracts in {my preferred locations}".

Very often they'll reply saying they'll pass my CV on to their contracts team and I will get a follow up from them.

Comment

Working...
                    X