• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ebola outbreak: Nurse infected in Spain

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vetran View Post
    so far, it needs to get a hold in a city or two and mutate slightly so its more contagious and you will be surprised.
    Its already mutated and a leading professor is now concerned it might not have to mutate too much further before it becomes airborne, then were proper F**ked. But of course armchair experts on the forum that seem to have more insight that the experts would no doubt say dont be silly and stop overreacing

Comment

Originally posted by Flashman View Post
      Lax immigration controls and the magnet of free healthcare means its probably already here.
      You think people managed to get infected, then immigrate to the UK within a few days?
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by alluvial View Post
        What I find most scary about the latest piece of news is that up until now, the death toll amongst the healthcare workers has been put down to inadequate equipment and training. What happened here?
        On the BBC news this morning they stated they had under estimated the infectiousness of the disease. They didnt go into anymore detail, lets hope to god it hasn't gone airborne!! They are diagnosing 5 people an hour in Sierra Leone.

Comment

Substandard equipment apparently.

Although it does make me wonder. The 'flu and the common cold are supposed to be far more contagious and yet you can avoid catching these by simply washing your hands regularly and avoiding touching your eyes. Yet, someone covered from head to toe in latex and (albeit not impermeable apparently) protective clothing can still catch it. It seems to imply that either a serious lapse in procedure has occurred or the virus is a much trickier little bugger than we know (or are being told).

Comment

Well the German chappie who had Ebola is now back at home: Ugandan Doctor With Ebola Being Treating in Germany - WSJ and we have another one in Frankfurt.
            Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by alluvial View Post
              Substandard equipment apparently.

Although it does make me wonder. The 'flu and the common cold are supposed to be far more contagious and yet you can avoid catching these by simply washing your hands regularly and avoiding touching your eyes. Yet, someone covered from head to toe in latex and (albeit not impermeable apparently) protective clothing can still catch it. It seems to imply that either a serious lapse in procedure has occurred or the virus is a much trickier little bugger than we know (or are being told).
              Good god, first world countries take appropriate steps do they, I tend to believe El Mundo!!

The nurse, who is married with no children, was transferred to Carlos III hospital early on Tuesday morning.

El Mundo reported that it was the nurse who asked to be tested for Ebola, having to insist repeatedly on being tested before it was done on Monday.

While staff at the Alcorcón hospital were waiting for the test results, the nurse remained in a bed in the emergency room, separated only by curtains from other patients, hospital staff told El Mundo. Their version of events clashes with that of health authorities, who have said the patient was isolated from the first moment.

Comment

Some updates:

Spain tries to calm ebola panic after blunders | The Times

Public health officials were struggling to contain the panic which has gripped Madrid over the outbreak, which today saw a third health worker quarantined with suspected symptoms, bringing the number to five.
                When Ms Romero Ramos rang Carlos III hospital to say she was feeling ‘dreadful’, six days after the second patient died, she was told to attend a local hospital in the suburb of Alcorcon, where the staff did not have protective gear. It is believed she did not say she had been treating an ebola patient.
                Doomed... but perhaps there's salvation, David's gone Cobra.

David Cameron was today chairing a meeting of the Cobra emergencies committee to discuss the situation in West Africa and preparations for a possible outbreak in the UK
                "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

I spent 4 hours in Madrid airport on Sunday.

If churchy turns up to CUK drinkies tonight, I'll make sure I give him a hug just in case...

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
                    A lot of overreaction about this Ebola "outbreak"
                    On a daily basis more people die of Malaria than all Ebola victims added together
                    Pretty sure more humans have died of Malaria than anything else in the history of the planet.

Until I see people carking it in the streets and rising from the dead then it will remain as scary as bird flu.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
                      Pretty sure more humans have died of Malaria than anything else in the history of the planet.

Until I see people carking it in the streets and rising from the dead then it will remain as scary as bird flu.
                      Bird Flu and Pig flu two other scares that never took off. Wondering if the pharmaceutical industry is behind all this scaremongering.

Comment

Working...
                      X