• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Moan about elderly parents now

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moan about elderly parents now

Been back from holidays two days not even back at client but own family member is winding me up.

Old fella was 80 yesterday. Got back from hols and his legs have finally got worse. Not so cool he lives in a flat with stairs up from front door to living room, then stairs up to bedroom. Not good if you're knees are shot.

So I'm trying to get him to do a flat swap. Same block but ground floor. "No not doing it - staying here".

OK, so we'll look into chair lift. "No way am I wasting money on that". Dad chances are social will pay anyway, or you probably wont have to pay much. "No. Dont want the stress of getting it done".

FFS Dad, what ideas have you got then? "I'll manage". THATS IT. His stupidity defies belief sometimes. I seem to spending increasing amounts of time sorting stuff out for him (which I dont mind) but its taking to 5 times longer because I've got to talk sense into the stupid git first.

(Recently, his shower was leaking into the kitchen - I sorted it all out for someone to sort but the biggest fight was getting him onside because "he didn't want the stress of someone doing building work in his house". FFS. It ain't fixing it itself fella no matter how hard you wish it so!!!!).

Yesterdays birthday meal was a disaster as well. Kicked off that party no way so we went for a meal. My kids picked out a balloon with 80 on that we took with. As soon as he saw, he rammed it back in the box, lost his rag, said we were embarrassing him, and no way was I to open that box under any circumstances. It was the local harvester FFS - pretty sure the site of a birthday balloon ain't that entertaining for other customers.

He made it worse that when we got him home he said he didnt want it, it was a waste and to take it with us. I could see my Mrs face. Fair play she looked like she was about to explode but didn't and I don't blame her. Definitely, similar behaviour that I get from 10 year old son from the old fella here.

Lucky I didn't book the strippers who were going to strip him naked, whip him, and gnosh him off then I guess........
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

He doesn't want to be reminded that he's 80. He's desperate to try and stop change and time because he really knows that every day is a day closer to death and is frightened of it.

He's not at peace with his own mortality.

HTH.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

My dad died in 2005 at the age of 67. His death had a profound effect on me and my two brothers.

My mum is still going strong at 74.

You don't really know what you have until it's taken away from you....

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
        He doesn't want to be reminded that he's 80. He's desperate to try and stop change and time because he really knows that every day is a day closer to death and is frightened of it.

HTH.
        Nah its not that. As he gets older hes getting more and more selfish to be honest.

Comment

HTH.
          WCS. People handle age in many ways, one day they are fine the next day they worry when the end is. I can see 80 being a big deal for many people, especially if the age is beyond the point their friends made and many will not have made 80...

Granted I know that my grand parents reached that point and beyond. Mrs Eeks did not so I can imagine a panic occuring once 50 arrives...
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by greenlake View Post
            My dad died in 2005 at the age of 67. His death had a profound effect on me and my two brothers.

My mum is still going strong at 74.

You don't really know what you have until it's taken away from you....
            Yeh everyone says that. And I know it to be true..
            He is a decent fella at times but he just makes things so difficult when they dont need to be.

Comment

Switzerland is nice this time of year
              How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                Nah its not that. As he gets older hes getting more and more selfish to be honest.
                Get him those strippers next year. He'll thank you for them..,
                "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

HTH.
                  This
                  Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post

HTH.
                    The two things aren't mutually exclusive. If one's stressed out thinking one's likely to die every day, it can make it hard to realise how one's attitudes and behaviour are affecting other people, I would imagine.

It's a shame he reacted so badly to the children's gift though. If you can't get him to apologise, you'll have to find a way to explain to them why he was like that. Luckily, children tend to be a lot more understanding of such things than we expect them to be: most things adults do seem freaking idiotic to them

Comment

Working...
                    X