• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Calling all Fanbois!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eek View Post
    So you have more TV's then we have as a family - 1 in the front room only...
    My parents gave me their old 32" one just before I bought my new one. The old one really is decrepit now though - they bought it just before the 2012 Olympics, so it's more like a kinetoscope than anything modern

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
      the phone is likely to be a better diagnosis device than your GP...
      In the case of my GP, this wouldn't be difficult.

A few years ago, I had my gallbladder removed due to infection. A week after the operation, I needed a top up on the medication so off I popped to the GP. She asked if I was definitely sure that's what I'd had, as I was too young to have had acute cholecystitis. So, even failing a retrospective diagnosis, having already been told what the issue was.
      Taking a break from contracting

Comment

News just in... Ahead of the announcement next week, a high volume of product has been shipped to Apple European distribution centres. They are being guarded more carefully than usual, so my source is unable to confirm exactly what’s in there.

Given that my company needs to get me a new tablet computer, I think the replacement will have to wait at least a week.
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

My predictions for today’s event: they’ll announce a bunch of stuff, a load of journalists and Internet randoms will say it’s all crap/looks crap/will never work, then it’ll sell really well and work as well as can be expected and Apple will make tons of cash.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
            My predictions for today’s event: they’ll announce a bunch of stuff, a load of journalists and Internet randoms will say it’s all crap/looks crap/will never work, then it’ll sell really well and work as well as can be expected and Apple will make tons of cash.
            Going out on a limb then?

Comment

WWDC 2019 news

Apple dissolves iTunes into new apps - BBC News

Apple kills iTunes, preps pricey Mac Pro, gives iPad its own OS – plus: That $999 monitor stand • The Register

$999 for a monitor stand. If you want it VESA compliant that's another $200 for a bracket. Even the most loyal of fanbois (who else goes to these things ) took a pause at that with a brief moment of clarity.

Looks like we've finally reached peak iDiot tax.
              Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Got €30k on standby for the Mac Pro. Maxed out for me excel spreadsheets.
                "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                  Got €30k on standby for the Mac Pro. Maxed out for me excel spreadsheets.
                  Nope, that's just for the base spec.
                  Maxed out you're looking at over $50k (~€44k).

Apple’s top spec Mac Pro will likely cost at least $35,000 - The Verge

ONE (1) MAC PRO: $6,000
                  TWELVE (12) 128GB DDR4 ECC RAM STICKS: $17,867.88
                  TWO (2) 2TB SSDS: $2,400
                  ONE (1) 2.5GHZ 28-CORE INTEL XEON W PROCESSOR: APPROXIMATELY $7,453
                  TWO (2) AMD RADEON PRO VEGA II GPUS: PRICE UNKNOWN, BUT LET’S SAY $12,000, MINIMUM
                  ONE (1) APPLE AFTERBURNER ACCELERATOR CARD: PRICE UNKNOWN
                  ONE (1) APPLE PRO DISPLAY XDR MONITOR: $5,000
                  ONE (1) APPLE PRO STAND FOR THE PRO DISPLAY XDR MONITOR: $1,000
                  ONE (1) APPLE MAGIC KEYBOARD AND ONE (1) MAGIC TRACKPAD 2: $228
                  Alternatively, buy a 200 quid Chromebook laptop and offload the processing to various cloud services with 'infinite' scale. It's portable too.
                  Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

It was the 300W CPU and 1.4Kw power supply that did for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
                      Nope, that's just for the base spec.
                      Maxed out you're looking at over $50k (~€44k).

Apple’s top spec Mac Pro will likely cost at least $35,000 - The Verge

Alternatively, buy a 200 quid Chromebook laptop and offload the processing to various cloud services with 'infinite' scale. It's portable too.
                      Base spec is around $6K. It says so in the first sentence of the article you quoted

Comment

Working...
                      X