• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Can anyone explain the logic behind this lunacy?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can anyone explain the logic behind this lunacy?

I'm on a bit of a detox at the moment & consequently I'm on the wagon.

So,the other night I went into Sainsbury's to get my dinner & while I was at it I thought I'd try out some non-alcoholic fruit cider that they were plugging (Kopperberg mixed berries as it happens - very nice).

Place was packed as usual but I thought I'd use the self-checkout as I wouldn't have to wait around ages trying to flag somebody down to approve the alcoholic beverages I normally have in my trolley. Or so I thought because as soon as I scanned the first of my non alcoholic ciders an automated voice informed me that approval was required.

What? Why?

So when the lady came over, I grilled her about this & she said it's the law that you have to be over 18 to buy non alcoholic beers and ciders. Never heard anything so ridiculous in all my life. Yet anyone under 18 is perfectly free to go and buy a rum baba dessert swimming in alcohol or a box of Famous Names liqueur chocolates.

I just don't get it - can somebody make sense of this for me please?

Originally posted by Freaki Li Cuatre View Post
    I'm on a bit of a detox at the moment & consequently I'm on the wagon.

So,the other night I went into Sainsbury's to get my dinner & while I was at it I thought I'd try out some non-alcoholic fruit cider that they were plugging (Kopperberg mixed berries as it happens - very nice).

Place was packed as usual but I thought I'd use the self-checkout as I wouldn't have to wait around ages trying to flag somebody down to approve the alcoholic beverages I normally have in my trolley. Or so I thought because as soon as I scanned the first of my non alcoholic ciders an automated voice informed me that approval was required.

What? Why?

So when the lady came over, I grilled her about this & she said it's the law that you have to be over 18 to buy non alcoholic beers and ciders. Never heard anything so ridiculous in all my life. Yet anyone under 18 is perfectly free to go and buy a rum baba dessert swimming in alcohol or a box of Famous Names liqueur chocolates.

I just don't get it - can somebody make sense of this for me please?
    Easy! The law is an ass, enacted by arses. Invariably.

Comment

Perhaps they're worried by the placebo effect?

By which I mean, if you haven't understood the joke, that they think youngsters will drink the non-alcoholic wine/beer thinking that it is the real stuff. And then they will start acting drunk and disorderly etc due to them believing themselves to be drunk (when they're not of course).

Comment

Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
        Perhaps they're worried by the placebo effect?

By which I mean, if you haven't understood the joke, that they think youngsters will drink the non-alcoholic wine/beer thinking that it is the real stuff. And then they will start acting drunk and disorderly etc due to them believing themselves to be drunk (when they're not of course).
        To be fair, there is a similar analogy with vapour fags. The view is that using them is likely to make you take up the real thing so they cannot be sold to under 18's. Which is quite sensible.

Comment

I don't believe it's against the law. It's just easier to tell you it is.

The reason is because the department the item is in is marked as age restricted. JS restrict items individual or at any point in their hierarchy.

0.5% ABV is the magic number having just checked.
          Last edited by ASB; 4 August 2014, 14:08.

Comment

cause a young un' could get the taste for the loopy juice...

one day at a time

Comment

Law's were never like this in my day, otherwise they'd be id'ing all you young kids buying chocolate fags.

Comment

Originally posted by oscarose View Post
                cause a young un' could get the taste for the loopy juice...

You can mix vodka with most soft drinks.....
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I drank ginger beer when I was younger. And I turned out fine.....

Comment

Working...
                  X