November 22nd - The death of contracting as we know it
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
Posts 11 to 20 of 209
  1. #11

    Godlike

    jamesbrown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    5,299
    Thanks (Given)
    69
    Thanks (Received)
    382
    Likes (Given)
    570
    Likes (Received)
    1672

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eek View Post
    By pushing this through as part of the Taylor report changes - it will sail through with Labour support, which is why it's now and not next year...
    The pressure won't come from Labour, it will come from Tory backbenchers before anything becomes HMG policy and hence part of a FB. It depends how strongly they feel about it. Leverage isn't applied vote-by-vote, it's about deals, and there are many other issues on which backbenchers have a decisive vote. If they were just going to do it, they wouldn't be briefing it out three weeks before a budget. They'd just do it in the budget. It's standard trial balloon MO - HMT/HMRC clearly want to do this (and had planned it from the start), but they also want to gauge pushback from business and the backbenches.

  2. #12
    eek
    eek is online now

    bored now

    eek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    😂
    Posts
    22,435
    Thanks (Given)
    244
    Thanks (Received)
    1213
    Likes (Given)
    1045
    Likes (Received)
    3586

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesbrown View Post
    The pressure won't come from Labour, it will come from Tory backbenchers before anything becomes HMG policy and hence part of a FB. It depends how strongly they feel about it. Leverage isn't applied vote-by-vote, it's about deals, and there are many other issues on which backbenchers have a decisive vote. If they were just going to do it, they wouldn't be briefing it out three weeks before a budget. They'd just do it in the budget. It's standard trial balloon MO - HMT/HMRC clearly want to do this (and had planned it from the start), but they also want to gauge pushback from business and the backbenches.
    I suspect there will be pushback I also suspect that because there will be a lot of pushback from the Taylor report but it will be ignored and this will go through as part of said report (even though its got nowt to do with it)....

    Time will tell but everything has so far played out exactly how I suspected it would - this is a year earlier than I expected but the chance to combine with Taylor is probably too good for HMRC to ignore...
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

  3. #13

    Godlike

    jamesbrown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    5,299
    Thanks (Given)
    69
    Thanks (Received)
    382
    Likes (Given)
    570
    Likes (Received)
    1672

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eek View Post
    Time will tell but everything has so far played out exactly how I suspected it would - this is a year earlier than I expected but the combination with Taylor is probably too good for HMRC to ignore...
    Yep, time will tell. It was always a question of "when". I take your point on Taylor, but Lurch has irritated pretty much every contingent on the backbenches in recent months, and they're looking for any opportunity to trip him. Combined with Brexit, the timing is not ideal. If the pushback is only moderate, they'll go ahead with a consultation in the Budget. I expect the pushback will be coordinated and severe, but that may only succeed in pushing off the implementation date or the details of what is done (after consultation). April 2018 remains impossible IMO.

  4. #14

    Still gathering requirements...


    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    87
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    12
    Likes (Given)
    1
    Likes (Received)
    19

    Default

    I am a regular poster but using this account as to not draw myself above the parapet but......

    I have seen the new PS rules first hand and there are ways round it which make me think that it will go to the Private Sector and will work.

    I have seen people move away from one man bands into micro consultancies, biding for and winning contracts for defined pieces of work, delivering a service rather than a bum on seat, and I think this could work. Many have said we should throw the BoS under the bus if it means we can continue to offer a flexible work force, and if that is the case I will do so (self preservation and all).

    We have all seen contractors at clients who are so far inside they are due a gold watch and a pension, they are not freelancers, they are disguised employees.
    Contracting is like plumbing. You're your own boss until you walk into someone's house and they tell you to take your shoes off.

  5. #15
    eek
    eek is online now

    bored now

    eek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    😂
    Posts
    22,435
    Thanks (Given)
    244
    Thanks (Received)
    1213
    Likes (Given)
    1045
    Likes (Received)
    3586

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesbrown View Post
    Yep, time will tell. It was always a question of "when". I take your point on Taylor, but Lurch has irritated pretty much every contingent on the backbenches in recent months, and they're looking for any opportunity to trip him. Combined with Brexit, the timing is not ideal. If the pushback is only moderate, they'll go ahead with a consultation in the Budget. I expect the pushback will be coordinated and severe, but that may only succeed in pushing off the implementation date or the details of what is done (after consultation). April 2018 remains impossible IMO.
    April 2018 is impossible but I was expecting April 2020 with things kicked off in November 2018. Now I suspect its kick off now for April 2019...
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

  6. #16

    Fingers like lightning

    Qdos Contractor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    534
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    56
    Likes (Given)
    2
    Likes (Received)
    73

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eek View Post
    April 2018 is impossible but I was expecting April 2020 with things kicked off in November 2018. Now I suspect its kick off now for April 2019...
    That would be my guess too, perhaps with some refinements to the legislation beforehand. But you never know...

    Seb
    Qdos Contractor - IR35 experts

  7. #17

    Nervous Newbie


    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    16
    Thanks (Given)
    1
    Thanks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    6

    Default

    March 2019 Brexit

    April 2019 Off Payroll rules in the private sector.

    Glad people who know what they are doing are running this country.

  8. #18

    More time posting than coding


    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    296
    Thanks (Given)
    86
    Thanks (Received)
    10
    Likes (Given)
    516
    Likes (Received)
    40

    Default

    They need a couple of years to invent a new way of paying theirselves and their wives, surely?

  9. #19

    Faqqed Off

    TheFaQQer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    36,146
    Thanks (Given)
    381
    Thanks (Received)
    1286
    Likes (Given)
    3700
    Likes (Received)
    3215

    Default

    IPSE initial response to the Times article:

    IPSE director of policy, Simon McVicker, said: "It looks like the Chancellor will be targeting hard working self-employed people for the second Budget in a row, last time it was all self-employed with NICs and now it appears he is considering a targeted attack on freelancers.

    "Changes to how freelancers operate in the public sector only came in recently and they have been a complete shambles. Its ludicrous the Chancellor would even consider extending these rules when the public-sector roll-out has been so problematic. Because of it, significant numbers have been leaving the NHS causing shortages and weve seen reports of serious delays to projects at TfL.

    "The UKs flexible labour market gives us a major competitive advantage over other European countries, and helps to attract investment. The government should be trying to give businesses confidence about leaving the EU not drown them in red tape. Adding additional burdens on business at this time is just plain wrong.

    "If the government is serious about addressing disguised employment it should implement a statutory definition of self-employment."
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership
    Monday 27th November 1230-1330: IPSE Update on the Autumn Budget for contractors. Register here.

  10. #20

    Contractor Among Contractors

    ladymuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,717
    Thanks (Given)
    154
    Thanks (Received)
    118
    Likes (Given)
    775
    Likes (Received)
    366

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qdos Contractor View Post
    That would be my guess too, perhaps with some refinements to the legislation beforehand. But you never know...

    Seb
    I reject your reality and substitute my own - Adam Savage
    Me on LinkedIn | 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.