Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Posts 21 to 27 of 27

Thread: Taylor Review

Should post faster

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We're Brexiting and the government are reducing business rates in an attempt to keep British workers employed in on-shore jobs.

I think we can safely assume that any features of Taylor's report which call for an increase in employer's NI takings and a reform of worker's rights will be given short shrift by the government.

eek

bored now

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 7specialgems View Post
    We're Brexiting and the government are reducing business rates in an attempt to keep British workers employed in on-shore jobs.

I think we can safely assume that any features of Taylor's report which call for an increase in employer's NI takings and a reform of worker's rights will be given short shrift by the government.
    Most gig economy work is service based that needs to be performed locally. Employers NI can be attached to that dependent worker and no-one will care... As I stated at the time of the budget Hammond's mistake was to announce it before this report came out rather than leaving things to November after this report...
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Godlike

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by eek View Post
    Most gig economy work is service based that needs to be performed locally. Employers NI can be attached to that dependent worker and no-one will care... As I stated at the time of the budget Hammond's mistake was to announce it before this report came out rather than leaving things to November after this report...
    That and the pesky manifesto commitment. In the current context, it would go through without major problems (much puffing from The Sun etc., but no fatal damage). However, Damian Green has now confirmed that the NIC changes won't be reintroduced, which leaves another 2bn black hole. I wonder how that might be filled... Certainly, enough contractors being designated as workers/dependent contractors would help if ErNI is going to be imposed on hirers.

What's surprising about this report is the lack of surprises. Almost everything was well-telegraphed. I also don't expect much to make it through to legislation; at least, very little unless Labour is onside.

On umbrellas, don't they typically employ the Swedish derogation to comply with the AWR? The FT was trailing a recommendation on that being abolished; did you catch the text on that?

AtW

My post count is Majestic

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Where did you see reduction in business rates? Our office's rates are doubling, staggered over next 5 years.

More likely the opposite, it's the whole point of exercise - get Employer NICs - 13.8%, much bigger catch than few %-tage on Employee NICs which Govt indeed can resist.

eek

bored now

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jamesbrown View Post
    That and the pesky manifesto commitment. In the current context, it would go through without major problems (much puffing from The Sun etc., but no fatal damage). However, Damian Green has now confirmed that the NIC changes won't be reintroduced, which leaves another 2bn black hole. I wonder how that might be filled... Certainly, enough contractors being designated as workers/dependent contractors would help if ErNI is going to be imposed on hirers.

What's surprising about this report is the lack of surprises. Almost everything was well-telegraphed. I also don't expect much to make it through to legislation; at least, very little unless Labour is onside.

On umbrellas, don't they typically employ the Swedish derogation to comply with the AWR? The FT was trailing a recommendation on that being abolished; did you catch the text on that?
    Page 59 and It's aimed more at agency's rather than umbrellas and focusses on equal pay after 12 weeks....

The Government should repeal the legislation that allows agency workers to opt out of equal pay entitlements. In addition, the Government should consider extending the remit of the EAS Inspectorate to include compliance with the AWR.
    It has been suggested that such a move might limit the options for agency workers who wish to benefit from the protections associated with being an employee of the recruitment agency but we do not agree: Employment businesses will still be able to offer permanent employment contracts to their agency workers in the same way that they could prior to 2010. The individuals will also still be able to benefit from equal pay after 12 weeks. Recruitment agencies should already have mechanisms in place to ensure equal pay after the qualifying period as it would be unlawful to structure arrangements to avoid equal pay. As such, any administrative costs should be minimal.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

AtW

My post count is Majestic

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

How exactly are they going to compel my cleaner to accept digital payments so that his bank statements proved I paid him. Are they going to outlaw cash? Are we supposed to enter into a dystopian cyperpunk future where I have to report my cleaner to the ministry of money because he wanted me to pay him using paper?
    They'll have hotline for cleaners to shop those who pay them cash and get a big cash reward for that.

Faqqed Off

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Matthew Taylor will be on BBC Radio 4's Money Box with Paul Lewis from 3pm today.

If you want to ask questions, you can email moneybox@bbc.co.uk or call 03700 100 444 from 1pm.
    Best Forum Advisor, 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership