Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9
Posts 81 to 84 of 84

Still gathering requirements...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Regur View Post
    Well after 22 years as a contractor - I've finally chucked in the towel and gone permie. Well done Hector - I'll let you win this one.

I think you'd be a fool not to expect drastic and damaging changes to happen over the next 18 months to contracting within the UK in all industries. With the political uncertainty in the next couple of years I think I'd rather jump now and move to somewhere I want to go rather than be pushed later on.

The ride was fun whilst it lasted though. Feels a bit weird to not be invoicing every week but I'm sure the paid holidays will ease me through the pain of not feeling elitist and looking down with disdain at the permanent members of staff anymore

For me, the positives of contracting have slowly been ground down and are now outweighed by the negatives, and as for those of you who are going to stand firm and continue, I salute you - but I think the writing is on the wall....

I'm on the same boat, except I did 5 successful / profitable years rather than your 20!!!

I was sitting there in a big bank who was offering me a nice permie package... why the hell not? They are a great bunch and I am thoroughly enjoying the work.

Yes off course I will miss all the Contractor perks, but at the same time I am already enjoying the perks of permiedom (eg no slight uneasiness in the gut re contracts) and all the benefits that come with permiedom with a good company (medical cover, life insurance and a boat load of other benefits I didn't know I needed or existed!).

Contracting is still a perfect fit for some people, but I agree that the "contracting vs permie" divide is getting closer.

Double Godlike!

Walking in the garden, dreaming of Olivia...
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by PermMCCon View Post
    I'm on the same boat, except I did 5 successful / profitable years rather than your 20!!!

I was sitting there in a big bank who was offering me a nice permie package... why the hell not? They are a great bunch and I am thoroughly enjoying the work.

Yes off course I will miss all the Contractor perks, but at the same time I am already enjoying the perks of permiedom (eg no slight uneasiness in the gut re contracts) and all the benefits that come with permiedom with a good company (medical cover, life insurance and a boat load of other benefits I didn't know I needed or existed!).

Contracting is still a perfect fit for some people, but I agree that the "contracting vs permie" divide is getting closer.
    I don't - but it all depends on why you went contacting in the first place.
    Blog? What blog...?

Should post faster

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by malvolio View Post
    We are hired to do a better job than their own staff and to be disposed of as soon as our job is done.
    But it is only fair that two people doing the same job should pay the same tax

Fingers like lightning

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by breaktwister View Post
    But it is only fair that two people doing the same job should pay the same tax for the same benefits, security and risk
    FTFY, assuming you weren't simply having a laugh.
    PCG is now IPSE