+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Posts 31 to 40 of 40
  1. #31

    Godlike


    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Non-Event Horizon
    Posts
    8,646
    Thanks (Given)
    319
    Thanks (Received)
    577
    Likes (Given)
    2189
    Likes (Received)
    2584

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by europetractor View Post
    Yes but you know what the problem is ? The radiation can get from below therefore making your hat a radiation container, totally reversing the intended effect. I bet you don't mention that on your advertising :P
    How many do you want?
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

  2. #32

    Still gathering requirements...


    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    84
    Thanks (Given)
    2
    Thanks (Received)
    3
    Likes (Given)
    24
    Likes (Received)
    18

    Default

    Managed Service?

  3. #33

    More time posting than coding


    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    374
    Thanks (Given)
    2
    Thanks (Received)
    8
    Likes (Given)
    113
    Likes (Received)
    31

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cojak View Post
    I think that we need to look beyond IR35, to see ourselves as working beyond that and to show companies that contractors are still a valuable resource.

    As I'm in a project building a new cloud environment for a client, it's suddenly occurred to us that contractors need to sell themselves in the same way that Microsoft sells Azure - "Scale when you need to, pay as you go".

    Companies are beginning to understand that benefits of cloud computing rather than resent it, we need them to feel the same about contracting.

    What do you think?
    The difference is that of "personal service".

  4. #34

    More time posting than coding


    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    374
    Thanks (Given)
    2
    Thanks (Received)
    8
    Likes (Given)
    113
    Likes (Received)
    31

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Semtex View Post
    Managed Service?
    A contractor that is under management (and control and supervision)? Instant IR35 and agency worker indicators.

  5. #35

    Super poster


    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    2,960
    Thanks (Given)
    137
    Thanks (Received)
    55
    Likes (Given)
    712
    Likes (Received)
    338

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cojak View Post
    I think that we need to look beyond IR35, to see ourselves as working beyond that and to show companies that contractors are still a valuable resource.

    As I'm in a project building a new cloud environment for a client, it's suddenly occurred to us that contractors need to sell themselves in the same way that Microsoft sells Azure - "Scale when you need to, pay as you go".

    Companies are beginning to understand that benefits of cloud computing rather than resent it, we need them to feel the same about contracting.

    What do you think?
    I think what you are really looking for is CAAS some examples include:
    I need a design for an exchange environment
    I need someone to document process X
    I would like to understand my building infrastructure to understand IoT risk

    in all of those cases a decent contractor should be able to say that will be between 5k and 100k

    However the part where most customers fall over is when you say but I'm not sitting in your office for 40 hours a week and I'm not telling you who's doing the work.

    That fee buys a document on x date and I will call your staff to arrange knowledge share.

  6. #36

    Respect my authoritah!

    NotAllThere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Far away from HMRC
    Posts
    16,474
    Thanks (Given)
    170
    Thanks (Received)
    573
    Likes (Given)
    974
    Likes (Received)
    2163

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by northernladuk View Post
    ...A client either needs it full time or they don't....
    Not the case. My current contract is 2 days per week. Another consultant here has a contract for 2 days per month. It's been like that for years, and the client likes the model.

    The reason this doesn't happen more often is
    1. Contractors want full time work
    2. Clients may want part time or short-term resources but can't get them easily because of 1.
    3. Agencies aren't interested in part time because of 1 and 2.
    4. Contractors who'd quite like to have a few part-time clients can't do it because of 2 and 3. (Yes, it's a negative feedback system).

    The niche exists, but there's no infrastructure in place to support it widely as a way of working. The only reason I've been able to do it is because my reputation* as someone who delivers is spread by word of mouth.

    Quote Originally Posted by Alias View Post
    Sounds like you are proposing a retainer/demand based contract.
    It's exactly how I've been working for the past 10 years. E.g. I have a 100 day contract this year for one client. If it turns out that 120 days are needed, they'll raise the extra PO. If it turns out I only use 90 days, then that's the way it works, and why my rate is slightly higher than the norm. It's a risk, but mitigated by higher fees.

    In ten years, I've never had a problem meeting the clients' needs. On occasion I've worked for one client at another client's site, but it is rare that there's any kind of clash.

    For reference, my work is development (mainly), tech lead, tech consultancy, proofs-of-concepts, new technology exploitation (all in SAP area).


    * Hard to believe I know, but I do have a good rep.
    Fact check: Mostly false

    --drunk on abuse of power--

  7. #37

    Super poster


    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    2,960
    Thanks (Given)
    137
    Thanks (Received)
    55
    Likes (Given)
    712
    Likes (Received)
    338

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by m0n1k3r View Post
    A contractor that is under management (and control and supervision)? Instant IR35 and agency worker indicators.
    Ah but hang on this is the problem.

    This whole concept of control is bulltulip. I am controlling a dozen suppliers at the moment not a single one of them is free to do as they wish. I have detailed what I want, when i want it, the standard it is to be delivered against and why to all of them.

    If control is a real concept then there are a number of large organisations that need to yield to my requests and thus are in the same legal boat as a one man band.

    i.e you are not a business you are being controlled and so we need to treat this as we are paying the person doing it as an employee...

  8. #38
    eek
    eek is offline

    bored now

    eek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    😂
    Posts
    21,212
    Thanks (Given)
    207
    Thanks (Received)
    1000
    Likes (Given)
    925
    Likes (Received)
    3063

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Not the case. My current contract is 2 days per week. Another consultant here has a contract for 2 days per month. It's been like that for years, and the client likes the model.

    The reason this doesn't happen more often is
    1. Contractors want full time work
    2. Clients may want part time or short-term resources but can't get them easily because of 1.
    3. Agencies aren't interested in part time because of 1 and 2.
    4. Contractors who'd quite like to have a few part-time clients can't do it because of 2 and 3. (Yes, it's a negative feedback system).

    The niche exists, but there's no infrastructure in place to support it widely as a way of working. The only reason I've been able to do it is because my reputation* as someone who delivers is spread by word of mouth.

    It's exactly how I've been working for the past 10 years. E.g. I have a 100 day contract this year for one client. If it turns out that 120 days are needed, they'll raise the extra PO. If it turns out I only use 90 days, then that's the way it works, and why my rate is slightly higher than the norm. It's a risk, but mitigated by higher fees.

    In ten years, I've never had a problem meeting the clients' needs. On occasion I've worked for one client at another client's site, but it is rare that there's any kind of clash.

    For reference, my work is development (mainly), tech lead, tech consultancy, proofs-of-concepts, new technology exploitation (all in SAP area).


    * Hard to believe I know, but I do have a good rep.
    Yep and to do that you need to build up a reputation and remove agents from the loop...
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

  9. #39
    Bee
    Bee is offline

    Contractor Among Contractors


    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    1,975
    Thanks (Given)
    36
    Thanks (Received)
    73
    Likes (Given)
    371
    Likes (Received)
    184

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by northernladuk View Post
    My immediate thought you are compare apples and pears. Azure is a configurable flexible platform and all that. A contractor offers a single highly skilled service. A client either needs it full time or they don't. Azure is a jigsaw that can be anything when finished, a contractor is just a single piece of that jigsaw. If you can start to think like this at all it's going to take bigger change in clients view than it is the way we market ourselves. No good trying to sell something the client doesn't want or understand.

    There maybe a few that can position themselves like this but am not sure how the vast majority can.

    Any more thoughts on what the offering might look like?
    It's time for contractors become multi-skilled and flexible, don't you think?
    Don't argue with idiots. They'll drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

  10. #40

    My post count is Majestic

    northernladuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    31,204
    Thanks (Given)
    123
    Thanks (Received)
    1021
    Likes (Given)
    1533
    Likes (Received)
    5121

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bee View Post
    It's time for contractors become multi-skilled and flexible, don't you think?
    Nope.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011' - Winner - Yes really!!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.