+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Posts 11 to 20 of 102
  1. #11

    キツネの帽子をかぶる

    WTFH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    6,488
    Thanks (Given)
    7
    Thanks (Received)
    651
    Likes (Given)
    620
    Likes (Received)
    2177

    Default An Agency's View

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesbrown View Post
    What a load of bullocks. Conversely (and equally nonsensically), a contractor who spans several business areas is a low- to mid-level technician, not a proper expert.
    Sorry, I mean client business areas.
    If all you have ever done is 20 years work in banking and a chemical company is looking for a contractor, are they more likely to choose you, or someone who has experience in banking, or someone who has worked in banking, medical and construction - doing the same job but for different client business areas.

    20 years working in one client business area may make you an expert in that business area for that type of client, but you're narrowing down your expertise.
    0. Absolute Power corrupts absolutely. Moderator Power corrupts moderately.
    1. I have a low tolerance level for idiots.
    2. You have to earn my respect, demanding it won't work.

  2. #12
    sal
    sal is offline

    Contractor Among Contractors


    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    1,076
    Thanks (Given)
    1
    Thanks (Received)
    36
    Likes (Given)
    184
    Likes (Received)
    199

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesbrown View Post
    What a load of bullocks. Conversely (and equally nonsensically), a contractor who spans several business areas is a low- to mid-level technician, not a proper expert.
    Didn't realise that different business areas are using some special versions of hardware and software, making your experience irrelevant to other business areas...

    Gotta love the "Financial services experience is a must" at the bottom of the ads, they love to think they are special, while actually running one of the sh&%iest IT infrastructures out there.

  3. #13

    Godlike


    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    8,820
    Thanks (Given)
    584
    Thanks (Received)
    502
    Likes (Given)
    3910
    Likes (Received)
    2244

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sal View Post
    Didn't realise that different business areas are using some special versions of hardware and software, making your experience irrelevant to other business areas...

    Gotta love the "Financial services experience is a must" at the bottom of the ads, they love to think they are special, while actually running one of the sh&%iest IT infrastructures out there.
    Which is why you need FS experience .

    I have contracted in the following fields:-

    Worldwide News Agency
    Large ISP
    Large Telecoms provider
    Online gambling
    Software Consultancy
    Management Consultancies
    Transport
    Retail Banking
    Investment Banks

    The same primary technical skill set, as a product specialist, in all of those.

  4. #14

    Godlike


    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Non-Event Horizon
    Posts
    8,593
    Thanks (Given)
    313
    Thanks (Received)
    571
    Likes (Given)
    2164
    Likes (Received)
    2549

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
    Which is why you need FS experience .

    I have contracted in the following fields:-

    Worldwide News Agency
    Large ISP
    Large Telecoms provider
    Online gambling
    Software Consultancy
    Management Consultancies
    Transport
    Retail Banking
    Investment Banks

    The same primary technical skill set, as a product specialist, in all of those.
    Contractors should either be product specialists or area specialists. If you're a product specialist in a niche market, then there's a limited market out there for you unless the rates are great and there's little competition.

    I'm similar to you in so far as technical specialist with cross-industry experience. Helps when there's a downturn in certain sectors but not others.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

  5. #15

    Super poster

    jamesbrown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    4,478
    Thanks (Given)
    51
    Thanks (Received)
    259
    Likes (Given)
    464
    Likes (Received)
    1299

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WTFH View Post
    20 years working in one client business area may make you an expert in that business area for that type of client, but you're narrowing down your expertise.
    The only generalisation I'd make about contractors who have been around for a while is that they're all pretty thick skinned and mercinary buggers. They do what pays the most, for the least effort Enjoying the work is a bonus.

  6. #16

    Godlike


    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    8,820
    Thanks (Given)
    584
    Thanks (Received)
    502
    Likes (Given)
    3910
    Likes (Received)
    2244

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesbrown View Post
    The only generalisation I'd make about contractors who have been around for a while is that they're all pretty thick skinned and mercinary buggers. They do what pays the most, for the least effort Enjoying the work is a bonus.

    You rang

  7. #17
    eek
    eek is offline

    bored now

    eek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    😂
    Posts
    21,212
    Thanks (Given)
    207
    Thanks (Received)
    1000
    Likes (Given)
    925
    Likes (Received)
    3063

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesbrown View Post
    The only generalisation I'd make about contractors who have been around for a while is that they're all pretty thick skinned and mercinary buggers. They do what pays the most, for the least effort Enjoying the work is a bonus.
    No thanks. I always take slightly less money for more interesting work and to ensure I have somewhere else to move on to....

    As for effort - you mean you want me to actually do some work - next....
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

  8. #18

    Contractor Among Contractors

    ladymuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,181
    Thanks (Given)
    48
    Thanks (Received)
    31
    Likes (Given)
    274
    Likes (Received)
    146

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesbrown View Post
    Either you're an expert or you're not but, like I said, one stupid generalisation doesn't atone for another. The public sector spans a lot of areas, according to FOI. Universities; millitary intelligence etc. Some poor buggers that probably didn't think they were in the PS are going to find that out pretty soon... I'm kinda irritated that RBS and Lloyds aren't officially PS.
    Yep...current gig (finishes next week thankfully) is at a University and I only realised this week that it's considered PS. That's two PS gigs I have on my CV now, the last one being in 2005. Does that make me a PS contractor?
    I reject your reality and substitute my own - Adam Savage
    Me on LinkedIn | Get 15% off IPSE membership

  9. #19

    Super poster

    jamesbrown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    4,478
    Thanks (Given)
    51
    Thanks (Received)
    259
    Likes (Given)
    464
    Likes (Received)
    1299

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sal View Post
    Didn't realise that different business areas are using some special versions of hardware and software, making your experience irrelevant to other business areas....
    Hardware and software? Since when did contracting become synonymous with IT contracting? If you're selling your engineering, mathematical, scientific, legal, medical etc. skills in a specialist area, you and your clients probably don't give a feck about hardware or software, as it's just a tool for a job.

  10. #20

    My post count is Majestic

    northernladuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    30,949
    Thanks (Given)
    119
    Thanks (Received)
    996
    Likes (Given)
    1514
    Likes (Received)
    5032

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sal View Post
    Didn't realise that different business areas are using some special versions of hardware and software, making your experience irrelevant to other business areas...

    Gotta love the "Financial services experience is a must" at the bottom of the ads, they love to think they are special, while actually running one of the sh&%iest IT infrastructures out there.
    It's not really down to the applications, it's understanding the client, their business and their market. I've worked on a global deployment for a massive pharma, went PS for a gig and back on a global deployment. The PS gig has added very little to me to help me get the global gig. No way would someone that's only got years of small gov work be able to jump in to a large complex business model. In one gig I own it all, the next each element has dedicated teams. That is why they want the experience.

    There is also the business culture. A pure PS contractor simply will not understand an investment banking culture where every pound spent most return 1.50 or it gets canned. Your bum on seat permatractor will not be able to deliver.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011' - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.