• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Screwed over by new contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The clause that the agency pointed out to you is your MOO defence in the event of an IR35 query. So it's a good thing.

Comment

All well and good to say its part of contracting, but if I was OP, had left one contract and then new one fell through I;d be bomping mad too though.

OP - hope either this one comes through or you get something else.
      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

I'd start applying for new roles now if I were you. Don't be surprised if the start date gets pushed back even further. Best to be prepared for the worst case scenario.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben10 View Post
          I was meant to start the new contract this coming Monday, however on Thursday just gone I was told by the agency there was a delay and that the new contract would be postponed for 2 weeks, and that there was a chance it could be even longer.
          Start looking and find something else. Give notice now, but tell the agency that if the client are ready and you are available, then you will do that role.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
            All well and good to say its part of contracting, but if I was OP, had left one contract and then new one fell through I;d be bomping mad too though.

OP - hope either this one comes through or you get something else.
            Well, that reflects the reality of our industry. I signed a 6 month contract at the end of last year, which was ended 3 weeks in because 2 major projects got canned. Suck it up, or don't contract - we all know what we're getting ourselves into.

Comment

WTAS - This is warning bells for me too. I would get back looking because sounds like the agent is worried too saying 'it could be longer'.
              They wouldnt normally do this in case you get another job so they usually try to keep you on the hook and say it's in hand.
              GLA

Comment

Thanks for the advice all. I have started looking for new roles today and speaking to old contacts. As everyone says - it happens, but I think it's morally wrong what's happened in my scenario. Hey ho....

Comment

Thanks for the advice all. I have started looking for new roles today and speaking to old contacts. As everyone says - it happens, but I think it's morally wrong what's happened in my scenario. Hey ho....
                  Honestly, you'll need to toughen up if you want to be a contractor.

On the face of it, nothing has happened other than the high possibility that this contract might now fall through. You haven't told us anything that agent has told you that might indicate anything untoward has happened.

Maybe the project has been shelved, their budget for the project has fallen through, or they have been able to resource it using some other means. Even if this last one is the case, it's not about morals it is simply a business decision.

Comment

I agree that its one of the worse sides to contracting. I'd imagine that the end client would be kicking up a stink if the boot were on the other foot if it were the contractor doing the dirty on them.
                    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

You're trying to appear like a business while wanting non-business-like conditions. I.e. you want to eat your cake and still have it.

Would a proper business think that it was 'morally wrong' when a project was delayed?

Comment

Working...
                      X