• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Annual salary contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Annual salary contract

Hi. I'm new to the forum. This could be my first step into the contract world!

I'm going to an interview tomorrow for a contract job. It is 12 months and pays £65k. I have a couple of questions about this that you may be able to help with.

As the salary is stated as an annual amount does this mean I need to subtract holiday and bank holidays etc.?

What kind of permanent salary is this the equivalent to considering the question above?

Originally posted by AndyH0 View Post
    This could be my first step into the contract world!
    The world of fixed-term employment contracts.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
      The world of fixed-term employment contracts.
      Interesting. Thanks. That makes some more sense. Does this give me full holiday, benefits etc. on top of the £65k?

Comment

Originally posted by AndyH0 View Post
        Interesting. Thanks. That makes some more sense. Does this give me full holiday, benefits etc. on top of the £65k?
        What does the contract say? Find out, then you can negotiate.

Comment

Originally posted by rsingh View Post
          What does the contract say? Find out, then you can negotiate.
          I will find out tomorrow. If it is an FTC then it is employment rather than contracting. It pays better than permanent at least!

Comment

And less than half a proper contract

Comment

Fixed term contracts seem to offer the worst of all worlds. The ones I've seen offer permie like money with no security. The reason you're typically paid more as a contractor is that you're a disposable resource. The ones I've seen offer a pro-rata 'rate', so you don't get holiday etc....

As others have said though, it depends completely on what the contract says, whether it's inside IR35 and a host of other things.....
              And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Normally you will have the same benefits as a permie on a fixed term contract.
                They must offer you paid holidays, pension etc.
                However you will also have the same disadvantages a as permie. Probation time, Reviews, team outings, christmas dinner, etc

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
                  Normally you will have the same benefits as a permie on a fixed term contract.
                  They must offer you paid holidays, pension etc.
                  However you will also have the same disadvantages a as permie. Probation time, Reviews, team outings, christmas dinner, etc
                  No, you can join the pension scheme (although why would you) but they don't have to include you. No redundancy either, and no option to extend on completion.
                  Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Fortunately this one is paying far more than a permie job. Benefit to joining the company pension scheme is to get their contribution which is typically double yours and at least 9% total.

Comment

Working...
                    X