• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bailing on a gig after a few weeks

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bailing on a gig after a few weeks

Even though there is clause in my contract that I can do this - reading some posts its considered not a good thing to do?

Appreciate both client and agent won't be happy but its in the contract I guess. Surely if it suited them they'd get rid of me.

Another gig has come up. Much better, they put me through SC as well. Longer term - current gig is deffo only 3 months.

Part of me says take it and look after number one but part of me says its not cool and it really won't be a good thing to do.

Originally posted by paulinefowlersgrowler View Post
    Even though there is clause in my contract that I can do this - reading some posts its considered not a good thing to do?
    It may be a good thing, or it may be a bad thing, depending on the circumstances.

Comment

If you want to leave, give notice as per the contract and leave.

Only you can decide whether it's a good thing or not. Of course, it would be a great shame to bail on one contract and then have the other one fall through and end up with nothing.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
        If you want to leave, give notice as per the contract and leave.

Only you can decide whether it's a good thing or not. Of course, it would be a great shame to bail on one contract and then have the other one fall through and end up with nothing.
        But such would be the fickle winds of commerce!

Comment

Saying a client would do it to you isn't really justification. You are in a supplier/client relationship. What is acceptable for one doesn't necessarily mean it's OK for the other. Clients don't normally bin contractors just cause they want something a little better than they have got and also don't tend to do it mid contract. Much more common to be done at renewal time.

If it's a no brainer for you then do it but you shouldn't make a habit of it. No one likes a mercenary and in an industry that is based on reputation it can come back and bite you. One particular poster on here does it all the time and doesn't care who he pisses off but so far he hasn't been burned.....
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            No one likes a mercenary
            I prefer to think of myself as someone who turns tricks for the highest bidder.

Comment

I bailed on my gig at Sky and even left earlier than they'd liked as the new gig needed me to start asap, in doing so I got blackballed by Sky but I've been here for 4 months now and I love it so it was well worth it. The thing is you never know how it's going to pan out, on the plus side for me at least people have been leaving in droves from the project at Sky so I at least feel a little vindicated by my decision.
              In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
                I prefer to think of myself as someone who turns tricks for the highest bidder.
                No-one like you anyway - it's not because you're a merc
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                  No-one like you anyway - it's not because you're a merc
                  Are you still bitter about the cricket

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    No one likes a mercenary
                    Speaking of which where is NW2PC?