• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You've re-applied twice...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hold on before you think I've made the schoolboy mistake of applying for the same role twice through different agencies. I haven't.

About a month ago a random pimp phoned me up with a suitable role. Got the full job spec sent through by email (I requested it) and verbally agreed for them to send my CV to client. As usual, nothing heard from them after a couple of phone calls / chasing to see if the client got back. After about 10 days passed from initial call I try my luck and call again only to be told by this agency the role has now been filled.

All was forgotten and I've deleted the original spec / email sent to me. I have forgotten who the agency was and never saw the advert again. Nothing out of the norm.

Roll on 4 weeks. Earlier this week, I see a vaguely similar job description advertised so apply again. New agency tells me the name of their client (it's the same one as before); I state I've never been interviewed by them (true) or that I'm currently being represented by an agency for this role (again true, from my point of view). I was told the job was filled, so can only assume they want another member for their growing team.

I get a phone call today inviting me to an interview next week. All great and happy to attend. Smile on face.

Now the problem...

1 hour passes and get another call but this time they are saying I've already applied to this role and their client already have my CV from before. I explain what happened previously over a month ago with the old agency, I have no proof since I deleted everything as it's been ages since original application, which I was told had been filled (turns out it's for exactly the same job as before).

So now I'm a little confused about how to deal with this (if at all).

The girl from the new agency who has secured me an interview says they want to see me but it's left them in a bad situation as they can't represent me if someone else already has. She's gone away to speak to her boss and openly admits it's cutting them out from the deal.

As far as I see it, I had no idea it was for the exact same role. I was told it was filled a month ago by the first agency (who, for the life of me cannot remember who they were or have any proof of this).

Anyone been in this situation before? Don't really want to jeopardise this as the way I see it I haven't done anything wrong.

Still waiting for final confirmation of interview for next week - all I know is, that they would like to see me.

Go for the interview, mention the situation and let the client pick which agency he wants to put you through?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Anubis View Post

Hold on before you think I've made the schoolboy mistake of applying for the same role twice through different agencies. I haven't.
      If you've re-applied twice, that would make three applications.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Quick update:

The client have literally just got into contact with me via email inviting me to the interview. I can see this becoming a storm between the client and pimp by cutting them out.

I don't want to be dragged into awkward situations between them; essentially the recruitment agency getting cut out the deal since the client themselves (a large bank) have contacted me directly.

Meh...I think I'm just going to have to go along for the ride; turn up at the interview and do what the client wants regardless. That's what it boils down to at the end of the day...

Comment

Originally posted by Anubis View Post
          Quick update:

The client have literally just got into contact with me via email inviting me to the interview. I can see this becoming a storm between the client and pimp by cutting them out.

I don't want to be dragged into awkward situations between them; essentially the recruitment agency getting cut out the deal since the client themselves (a large bank) have contacted me directly.

Meh...I think I'm just going to have to go along for the ride; turn up at the interview and do what the client wants regardless. That's what it boils down to at the end of the day...
          Well you are doing better than I did. I got binned by the client while sat in the car park for one of my two interviews that day (one from each agency). At least your client spotted the application. Mine didn't until 10 mins before I was due to go in. 15 min tulip storm and some very angry pimps and then the message that the client couldn't be bothered and cancelled both interviews. Doh....

You are in a very good position dealing direct with the client so I don't see this as your problem. Go to the interview, see if you get the gig. If you do you will hear from the agent that the client decided to use. The only re-course to the other agency is to moan like stink to the client... which if he/she has a hole in their arse they won't.

Ride the wave and see where it takes you. I don't really see a problem here.

Comment

I had this sort of thing. Agent put me through with a roll at a company and nothing happened, a few weeks later another agency phoned me about a roll and got me an interview. Passed it quite well (the HR girl is a friend of my wife's, which helped).

Got a phone call from the original agency asking what had happened, I explained I did not realise it was the same job. Agent asked whether I said the company name first or did the second agent ... I thought for a bit and remember that I had. The agent said not to worry and he would sort it out.

Both agents fought like wild dogs and threatened legal action, client dropped me as it was not worth the hassle.
            Last edited by MyUserName; 28 March 2014, 15:32.
            "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

I recently had interviews for 2 positions for the same department of a bank. Each was through a different agency, but I was interviewed by the same people for both.

The first role was probably a bit too junior for me, but did involve a lot of stuff that I enjoy and am good at.

The second was more of a PM role, which I don't mind a bit of, but I have no interest in a pure PM role.

They liked me and kind of 'created' a role that was a mix of the two. I decided not to go for it as it wasn't paying what I wanted but I would have loved to have sat back and watched the two agencies fight it out.

Comment

Originally posted by JRCT View Post
                I recently had interviews for 2 positions for the same department of a bank. Each was through a different agency, but I was interviewed by the same people for both.

The first role was probably a bit too junior for me, but did involve a lot of stuff that I enjoy and am good at.

The second was more of a PM role, which I don't mind a bit of, but I have no interest in a pure PM role.

They liked me and kind of 'created' a role that was a mix of the two. I decided not to go for it as it wasn't paying what I wanted but I would have loved to have sat back and watched the two agencies fight it out.
                Erm, nice story but relevant how?

Comment

Had a pimp who said he would forward my cv to the client for a role, I had to send an email I agreed he would represent me for this role and no one else.
                  Few weeks later second agency called me, same role, said I was put forward by agency 1, agency 2 went away and checked with end client. Came back saying end client didn't have my cv so I sent email to agency 1 to say I withdrew my consent on the basis they hadn't put me forward and agency 2 then put me forward.
                  This resulted in a tulipstorm agency 1 claiming they had an exclusive deal with end client.
                  Both agencies calling me several times per day trying to find out things about the other agency. I told them to sort it out themselves and withdrew my application, the role was not really what I wanted anyway, so I couldn't be bothered anymore

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
                    Had a pimp who said he would forward my cv to the client for a role, I had to send an email I agreed he would represent me for this role and no one else.
                    Few weeks later second agency called me, same role, said I was put forward by agency 1, agency 2 went away and checked with end client. Came back saying end client didn't have my cv so I sent email to agency 1 to say I withdrew my consent on the basis they hadn't put me forward and agency 2 then put me forward.
                    This resulted in a tulipstorm agency 1 claiming they had an exclusive deal with end client.
                    Both agencies calling me several times per day trying to find out things about the other agency. I told them to sort it out themselves and withdrew my application, the role was not really what I wanted anyway, so I couldn't be bothered anymore
                    Shame you didn't want the role - otherwise you could have taken it through the second agency.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                    X