• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cancelled assignment

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cancelled assignment

Hi, I'm very new to the contracting industry so please be gentle. I have already ran into a few problems that I need help / advice with

1) My agency rang and asked if I could work in Leeds for 4 days (Fri, Sat, Sun and Mon) which I agreed to. Leeds is over 100 miles from where I live and so I booked a hotel for 3 nights. The agency rang me on Thursday at 4.55pm saying the work has been canceled. The hotel has a no refunds policy. Can agencies cancel at such short notice or is there a general rule whereby they have to honor payment if an assignment is cancelled at such short notice?

2) An end client has not yet approved a timesheet and it has been 2 weeks since I completed the assignment. I've rang my agency numerous times to get this chased but nothing has happened. I'm with an umbrella company. Any advice will be appreciated.

No doubt I'll be asking many more questions in due course as I have a lot of things on my mind in terms of contracting work. In the meantime, I'm just so glad I got I'm no longer working in a permanent job and this really is a refreshing experience so far (other than the few issues I'm currently having). It's fantastic not having to work for a-hole bosses in a permanent job!

Originally posted by Magpie2121 View Post
    Hi, I'm very new to the contracting industry so please be gentle. I have already ran into a few problems that I need help / advice with

1) My agency rang and asked if I could work in Leeds for 4 days (Fri, Sat, Sun and Mon) which I agreed to. Leeds is over 100 miles from where I live and so I booked a hotel for 3 nights. The agency rang me on Thursday at 4.55pm saying the work has been canceled. The hotel has a no refunds policy. Can agencies cancel at such short notice or is there a general rule whereby they have to honor payment if an assignment is cancelled at such short notice?

2) An end client has not yet approved a timesheet and it has been 2 weeks since I completed the assignment. I've rang my agency numerous times to get this chased but nothing has happened. I'm with an umbrella company. Any advice will be appreciated.

No doubt I'll be asking many more questions in due course as I have a lot of things on my mind in terms of contracting work. In the meantime, I'm just so glad I got I'm no longer working in a permanent job and this really is a refreshing experience so far (other than the few issues I'm currently having). It's fantastic not having to work for a-hole bosses in a permanent job!
    I think #1 is probably tough luck. Did you get as far as signing a contract for work? If so, and there is a notice period, you may have a smidge of comeback, but it would probably be far more hassle than it's worth. The best you can do is ask nicely - the client may be reasonable and reimburse you if they genuinely did cancel the gig.

#2 - do you know why the client hasn't approved the timesheet? Your contract probably states that payment is dependent on a signed timesheet. Did you 'opt out'? If you're not opted out, then you have to be paid for work you did regardless. The easiest way is to contact the client and find out why they haven't approved the timesheet - it could be as simple as an oversight.

Comment

It's fantastic not having to work for a-hole bosses in a permanent job!
      No, as you can see you have a-hole clients AND a-hole agents. Fantastic.

On the timesheet.... If the client hasn't signed it why are you chasing the agent?
      Last edited by northernladuk; 25 March 2014, 08:11.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Can agencies cancel at such short notice
        Yes
        or is there a general rule whereby they have to honor payment if an assignment is cancelled at such short notice?
        No general rule, but you could always include something in the contract making the agency liable for non-refundable expenses incurred due to late cancellation. Or book hotels which allow cancellation.

Chase the client who haven't signed the timesheet. Find out why, and see what you can do to resolve the issue.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I'd say the blame lies with the OP, booking a hotel with a no cancel policy..

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
            I'd say the blame lies with the OP, booking a hotel with a no cancel policy..
            Never a good idea. Even travelodge let you cancel up until 12pm of the day of arrival.

Got burnt with that one by a client while back. Used to constantly arrange upgrades etc on their customer site. Would get cancelled day before all the time.

Had a bit of a weird arrangement contract there. I was expected to attend their client site up to once a fortnight but pay for all my own travel. Couldn't complain because I probably went 5-6 times total in 2 years but I'd just wait until I was there, decide if it was going to be a one day or two dayer and book hotel on the day when I got there.
            Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
              Never a good idea. Even travelodge let you cancel up until 12pm of the day of arrival.
              Yep. The clever trick these hotels pull is to offer a lower price for non refundable booking, they aren't daft and 99 times out of a 100 they are the best option as you will never cancel so get complacent. The one time you need to cancel your screwed.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                Yep. The clever trick these hotels pull is to offer a lower price for non refundable booking, they aren't daft and 99 times out of a 100 they are the best option as you will never cancel so get complacent. The one time you need to cancel your screwed.
                Yep. But I always find that travelodge isnt that much cheaper for non-refundable. Maybe £5-£6. Not worth the hassle IMHO when this happens and you can't cancel.
                Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Since you have booked for the weekend

Why don't you go to leeds for a short break holiday anyway, If your from up north, Its just like London

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    I'm not sure it's a trick as such, they are not basing their business model on people cancelling last minute.

They know companies are prepared to pay extra for flexibility, and it gives normal travellers, whose itineraries 99% of the time don't change, a cheaper option.

Comment

Working...
                    X