• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contractors claiming benefits?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Now first off I'll say this is a bit borderline even for me. Wish I'd though it first mind. But as others have pointed out, there is a distinction between company money and personal money - there has to be.

It might well be a loophole but I dont see how it can be closed. It would be impossible to 'force' companies however big or small to do what the government wanted with the companies money. IR35 I guess tries it though!

I really don't see how this person could ever be done for fraud. Its not fraud. OK so what she's done:-

1. As owner of company, decided to pay employee A (herself) £x amount per year. Perfectly legal. We all pay ourselves the salary we want for out purposes (mainly to be the most tax efficient)

2. As owner of company, has decided not to pay out any dividends. Perfectly legal. We all pay dividends as and when it suits us again maybe taking into tax years etc.

3. As a person, has claimed benefits based on her income which is the salary. Again perfectly legal.

To be honest, it aint right but I don't think us as contractors are the ones to criticise. Remember the old saying, tax avoidance is legal, tax evasion is illegal. This is the same sort of thing.
    Did you not read this bit?

The key point for limited company contractors to bear in mind is that their limited company’s business assets will be considered ‘capital’ and added to their personal assets and capital when they are means tested.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Good points but the question was is it immoral. The answer is clearly yes as you are well aware you are using fudges to meet criteria.

What is going wrong is the Jobcentre are NOT asking for this information in either the OP's case or in PC's. If they did I am sure the outcome would be very different.
      But being immoral is a sliding scale. A lot of people would think the way contractors avoid tax is immoral too.

In my case, the jobcentre had all the information they needed at the time.
      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

I am sure I am and don't want to get in to the details as I don't know. I just know these excuses about hiding money in the company and claiming is just not right. In fact, it's gone on so long I am really not sure what I am arguing.....
        See your post -1

Incidentally back in 2010 I did try to claim JSA too when the warchest began to run out.
        That was the most soul destroying experience of my life and I chose to not go back to find out if I was entitled to anything.
        The highlight of the experience was the chav threatening to '******* kick the tulip' out of the security guard for asking him to sign in.
        Still Invoicing

Comment

Is there really any difference in claiming tax credits for childcare or getting YourCo to pay for the childcare directly or via childcare vouchers?

Comment

Anyway.... It's getting in to detail and I have lost the point of this. There is evidence that company money goes towards personal contribution so that kills the company money argument stone dead.

Can anyone else but a contractors get away with squirrelling money away while claiming benefits? No.. so why is it right for us? It's just a loophole. If people genuinely don't have enough savings and genuinely meet the criteria then go and fill your boots. I am probably ruining the thread by not understanding the different benefits so will quietly slink out of this one.

Peace out....
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
              Is there really any difference in claiming tax credits for childcare or getting YourCo to pay for the childcare directly or via childcare vouchers?
              Depends on how much you are taking out of the company at the time.
              If you are hovering around the 30k per year mark, or below, the difference can be quite startling.

E.g. according to current tables, earning 30k per year and paying 300 per week in childcare for 2 kids = tax credits of £11,930 per year.
              Still Invoicing

Comment

Did you not read this bit?
                No I didnt. My fault there.

If thats the law then that changes things. So how did the person mentioned in the original post get around this one then?

Comment

Good points but the question was is it immoral. The answer is clearly yes as you are well aware you are using fudges to meet criteria.

What is going wrong is the Jobcentre are NOT asking for this information in either the OP's case or in PC's. If they did I am sure the outcome would be very different.
                  Ah, well that settles it then. It is clearly illegal.

Not sure why we are even discussing morality of it then?

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
                    Ah, well that settles it then. It is clearly illegal.

Not sure why we are even discussing morality of it then?
                    Seems fair. After all, to hold back the dividends is a little off.

In my case before Xmas though, they didn't even ask about company accounts. I think they should have by the sounds.

But, I'd paid out all the profit in dividends the week before. i.e there was no profit left all the money in the account was for vat or CT. So all the same.

But the same still applies. Someone can earn £1 million blow it all on booze, drugs, and women and then claim JSA. Someone who works hard to save, does without but saves £20K will be told they can't claim a bean. Bit unfair.

Comment

Just as an aside, and before people get too hung up on the "Company Money is entirely out of scope" argument, let's not forget who owns the shares in the company and who therefore owns the total assets of the company...

You may not choose to pay out company money but if you own the company, it's still a personal asset.
                      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
                      X