• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Barcrap scr3w their contractors again to the tune of 10%

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Antman View Post
    Never worked for them, but is their rate higher than other banks because of this tuliptyness?

Don't contractors automatically make the calculation when they hear Barclays "so that'll be 10% for the predicted rate cut + x% for being treated like s**t?"
    Their rates are up and down like the missus drawers. Around the time I was with them and shortly after the rates were swinging between 250 and 450 a day for Service roles. That was around the time they walked all contractors and start to introduce the no notice contracts because of people using them as a stop gap and giving notice. Not sure if it settled down yet. I think I have yet to meet a contractor in the area that hasn't done a gig there.

Apart from the rate cut it was a great place to work so I would hardly say they treat their contractors like tulip.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
      Lets face it, the market is cr*p at the moment. Every bank dishes out rate cuts, and none of them wait until renewal time. Standard market practice I'm afraid.
      It does seem awfully quiet for the time of year actually.... I thought it was just me but it appears to be affecting a lot of others. It should pick up in April/May, at least I hope it does! My 4 week extension at least gives me some time to see how things go.

Comment

Originally posted by Antman View Post
        Never worked for them, but is their rate higher than other banks because of this tuliptyness?

Don't contractors automatically make the calculation when they hear Barclays "so that'll be 10% for the predicted rate cut + x% for being treated like s**t?"
        It's not quite that bad.... Well not at radders anyway. Barclays effectively bought my house for me (deposit + mortage payments until Dec 2013) through 28 months of contracts. So I kind of aught to be grateful to them a bit at least.....

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
          It does seem awfully quiet for the time of year actually.... I thought it was just me but it appears to be affecting a lot of others. It should pick up in April/May, at least I hope it does! My 4 week extension at least gives me some time to see how things go.
          Rubbish - I am still getting a steady 5-7 specs a week for decent roles at good rates.

Barcap was my last permie; its a feisty bank with a high turnover but we played hard too

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Apart from the rate cut it was a great place to work so I would hardly say they treat their contractors like tulip.
            Down my hatch the kinda folks they treated half decent apart from Indian/Chinese were oldies (10 years to retirement tops). Contract life expectancy of English folks in their 30s was only 5 months.

If your name ends with ski prepare to be treated as perpetual unskilled temp thou.
            If UKIP are the answer, then it must have been a very stupid question.

Comment

Originally posted by Dallas View Post
              Rubbish - I am still getting a steady 5-7 specs a week for decent roles at good rates.

Barcap was my last permie; its a feisty bank with a high turnover but we played hard too
              Good for some I guess.....

CUK seems to favour my opinion:

http://www.contractoruk.com/news/001..._february.html
              Last edited by NorthWestPerm2Contr; 11 March 2014, 14:16.

Comment

Man up and decline the cut. They'll probably keep you on at the same rate, tell you not to tell anyone and can you along with the sheep who took the cut when it suits them.

Comment

Originally posted by BigTime View Post
                  Man up and decline the cut. They'll probably keep you on at the same rate, tell you not to tell anyone and can you along with the sheep who took the cut when it suits them.
                  When I was there in 2011 the message was immediate termination if you didn't comply with the rate cut. Then the bounders finished us all by Christmas (instead of March) anyway
                  Permietractor (probably)

Comment

Originally posted by Dallas View Post

Hate it when employers/clients describe the working environment as "we work hard but play hard".

Usually means we work the nuts off you with long hours and you're going to need a pint or two on the way home to destress or you'll lose it.
                    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Dont whinge

Originally posted by oliverson View Post
                      What kind of organisation enters into contractual agreements with other companies with the express intention of not honouring those contracts but reissuing at a 10% discount? Year-on-year for the last 3 years.

And they make this big thing of the Barclays 'VALUES' and their RESPECT initiative. What a total load of tulipe. Stay well clear of this shower.
                      You are in business and you cannot dictate to your clients what they can and cant do. They pay you and thats all the 'RESPECT' they owe you. If they have been getting away with annual rate cuts then obviously they were paying too much in the first place.

Comment

Working...
                      X