• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract Options - Weighing Up

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contract Options - Weighing Up

I am reaching the end of my current contract at the end of March and there is a strong chance (but not certain) I will not be renewed. I have been for an interview this week for a next role which does look pretty good and is the first one I have applied for, although 20% less in day rate. My current rate is very good on average, the new role is still a pretty good rate.

I am tempted to stay in my current role and see if I do get renewed and take the risk of losing the new role, on the basis another will come along if I don't get the renewal. The other option is to take role with the 20% reduction to secure, I will look to negotiate this rate up, but for now working on the basis of 20%.

So out of interest (and I know it is my career, my decision, only I can decide etc etc) how would you guys play this out ?

I think this is a question for Suity and Mental Candy

Comment

What about other things like:-

1. Location better or worse?
      2. Length of 2nd contract as opposed to 1st (yes ok I know it doesnt make that much difference)
      3. Which one looks beter on your CV?
      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

If your happy staying where you are then why not have a chat with them and ask them what the chances are of it carrying on as your now starting to look for your next role and have had an interview.

If they say there will be no extension then take the other role unless you want to take the chance as you still have a month to go to find one for a bit more money.

Comment

How long before they'd want you to start the new role?

Personally I mention it to the powers that be where you are that you're interviewing for other contracts to see what they say, I also believe that 80% of something is better than 100% of nothing though.
          In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
            What about other things like:-

1. Location better or worse? location is the same, in London not far from each other
            2. Length of 2nd contract as opposed to 1st (yes ok I know it doesnt make that much difference) all things being well, 2nd clinetco saying opportunity for ongoing renewals - they prefer continuity with contractors
            3. Which one looks beter on your CV? same type of company, and both look good on CV
            Originally posted by curtis View Post
            If your happy staying where you are then why not have a chat with them and ask them what the chances are of it carrying on as your now starting to look for your next role and have had an interview.I have a meeting with current clientco tomorrow and will ask them if my time is up or not (I am hearing at most it will be until end Apr)

If they say there will be no extension then take the other role unless you want to take the chance as you still have a month to go to find one for a bit more money.
            Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
            How long before they'd want you to start the new role?ideally they want immediate start but happy to wait until I finish at end of March

Personally I mention it to the powers that be where you are that you're interviewing for other contracts to see what they say, I also believe that 80% of something is better than 100% of nothing though.I will look to push 2nd clientco up to current rate or some sort of compromise in between. Either way 3 years at current clientco and I think my mind is made up to move on
            Thanks for the responses and thought prompts - I had added my comments in bold.

Comment

Working...
            X