• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Public sector take it or leave it rate cuts are back, then

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Public sector take it or leave it rate cuts are back, then

So it seems the Office for National Statistics are the latest public sector body to issue take it or leave it deals to their doers. Just received this from the pimp:

I am writing to you in regard to an ONS communication that we received last night. As you are aware, the Government as a whole has been looking at ways of reducing expenditure across its contractual estate in what are ongoing tough economic times for all. The process of looking for efficiencies and savings has not subsided and as such ONS have undertaken a review to make further savings from the contractor base. We have been informed by ONS that they are now looking to reduce the rate they pay each contractor across the estate. This decision has been ratified by the Director General and board of Directors of ONS and as such it has to been agreed that all contractor rates be cut with no scope for individual negotiations to ensure everyone is treated the same.

Therefore we have been advised by ONS that all contractor day rates are to be reduced by a margin of 6% starting on 1st April 2014. If a contractor does not agree to this, their contract will be terminated. We have been advised by ONS that this level of cut is being looked at across the whole ONS contractual estate and without this being invoked, ONS would have to look at other more drastic measures to achieve the savings required (these may include stopping projects and terminating contractors).

There are a number of ways in which ONS will look to reduce the impact of this by reviewing the length of contracts they offer and the termination clause. Historically ONS have offered 3 to 6 month contracts which with a 20 day termination clause. Therefore, ONS is considering looking at 9-12 months contracts (where business requirements demand that length of contract) and the possibility of increasing the termination periods to 30 days as recognition of the contractor’s acceptance of this rate reduction. ONS will also consider providing longer termination periods for contractors should they wish to reduce their daily rate by more than 6% (e.g. possibility of 35 days termination for a 7% reduction, 40 days for 8% reduction etc.).

ONS understands the risk that contractors may look to leave the organisation but it is a risk they have confirmed they are prepared to accept when faced with the budget constraints they operate under. It is appreciated that this news is likely to be greeted with some degree of surprise from the contracting community, and it is a decision that ONS has not taken lightly. We have been advised by ONS that acceptance of the proposed rate reduction needs to be agreed and communicated to them by noon on Friday 7th March 2014.

I would therefore be grateful if you can confirm your acceptance of the proposed margin reduction via email no later than Wednesday 5th March 2014.

Many thanks for your cooperation and understanding on this matter.

Originally posted by 7specialgems View Post
    So it seems the Office for National Statistics are the latest public sector body to issue take it or leave it deals to their doers. Just received this from the pimp:
    Bummer, is the agent reducing his margin or generously passing on the whole rate cut to you?

Comment

Originally posted by kal View Post
      Bummer, is the agent reducing his margin or generously passing on the whole rate cut to you?
      Waiting with baited breath for evidence of that; there are five pimps at play at our place and my pimp is the only whorehouse to send out a message so far.

Comment

Waiting with baited breath for evidence of that; there are five pimps at play at our place and my pimp is the only whorehouse to send out a message so far.
        Also I had to chuckle at the line about accepting a bigger %age cut with the carrot of a longer notice period, as we all know notice periods mean diddly squat
        Last edited by kal; 28 February 2014, 13:30.

Comment

I'd put a few knowledge transfer meetings in the calender, invite the PM and generally letting everyone know I'd be off end of March

Get you CV out sharpish and find some work somewhere else

Comment

Get looking for something else. If you find something, then great. If you have to accept a rate cut, then as part of the contract negotiations, cut your notice period right down to a day.

Explain to them that for a lower percentage reduction, you'll consider offering a longer notice period on your part.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

BTW, what's the notice period in the contract at the moment for them to terminate?

Just curious as 5th March to 1st April is 28 days notice, which doesn't match their "standard" periods detailed.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

I would therefore be grateful if you can confirm your acceptance or rejection of the proposed margin reduction via email no later than Wednesday 5th March 2014.

Many thanks for your cooperation and understanding on this matter.
                Fixed that for your optimistic pimp.

Comment

Also I had to chuckle at the line about accepting a bigger %age cut with the carrot of a longer notice period, as we all know notice periods mean diddly squat
                  As did we

Comment

Pimps 2, 3, 4 and 5 have now shared the info with their hoes. Seems like this is across the board.

Comment

Working...
                    X