FTC expiring
+ Reply to Thread
Posts 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: FTC expiring

  1. #1

    Still gathering requirements...


    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    25
    Thanks (Given)
    3
    Thanks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Given)
    14
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Question FTC expiring

    Hi all,

    Not sure if this is the right place to post but here goes.

    I am currently on a 6 month FTC [so technically sort of contracting] being paid direct from the employer like a permie. Currently my contract ends at the end of Jan and I have a weeks notice in my contract.

    I have a new IT manager starting on the 2nd Jan, so s/he will be all new etc and getting grounding when my contract is up so s/he won’t have my past 5 months for review and input to any decision.

    The 'team' has not been full i.e. 3 ppl +mgr +trainer for over a year and to see me go at the end of Jan would be not useful [imo] and with planned projects, they will need to keep me [imo]. Of course that is not the real world and they could just let my contract expire. Even the senior person is pushing for a main team of 4 because of the upcoming projects and workload.

    Financially and budget wise I have planned for the contract not to be extended or offered perm, and at present updating CV ect for the eventuality of this.

    I would like to stay on, but what is the best way of starting negotiations on keeping me on - email, formal letter, and direct visit [bearing in mind a direct visit would not be best imo as HR share an office of 3 ppl]?

    I was place via an agency; so would I contact them or go direct to HR?

    Any advice would be greatly received

  2. #2

    Contractor Among Contractors


    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,044
    Thanks (Given)
    1
    Thanks (Received)
    60
    Likes (Given)
    19
    Likes (Received)
    273

    Default advice.?

    Quote Originally Posted by chappers View Post
    Hi all,

    Not sure if this is the right place to post but here goes.

    I am currently on a 6 month FTC [so technically sort of contracting] being paid direct from the employer like a permie. Currently my contract ends at the end of Jan and I have a weeks notice in my contract.

    I have a new IT manager starting on the 2nd Jan, so s/he will be all new etc and getting grounding when my contract is up so s/he won’t have my past 5 months for review and input to any decision.

    The 'team' has not been full i.e. 3 ppl +mgr +trainer for over a year and to see me go at the end of Jan would be not useful [imo] and with planned projects, they will need to keep me [imo]. Of course that is not the real world and they could just let my contract expire. Even the senior person is pushing for a main team of 4 because of the upcoming projects and workload.

    Financially and budget wise I have planned for the contract not to be extended or offered perm, and at present updating CV ect for the eventuality of this.

    I would like to stay on, but what is the best way of starting negotiations on keeping me on - email, formal letter, and direct visit [bearing in mind a direct visit would not be best imo as HR share an office of 3 ppl]?

    I was place via an agency; so would I contact them or go direct to HR?

    Any advice would be greatly received
    chuck this and get a contract for real money and stop wasting your time

  3. #3

    Contractor Among Contractors


    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,011
    Thanks (Given)
    2
    Thanks (Received)
    9
    Likes (Given)
    33
    Likes (Received)
    59

    Default

    You are an employee. Go to HR.

  4. #4

    My post count is Majestic

    northernladuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    33,815
    Thanks (Given)
    141
    Thanks (Received)
    1469
    Likes (Given)
    1782
    Likes (Received)
    6042

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chappers View Post

    I am currently on a 6 month FTC [so technically sort of contracting] being paid direct from the employer like a permie. Currently my contract ends at the end of Jan and I have a weeks notice in my contract.
    Incorrect. You are a permie. What everyone else has said so far.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011' - Winner - Yes really!!!!

  5. #5

    More time posting than coding

    Damon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Cloud 9
    Posts
    336
    Thanks (Given)
    9
    Thanks (Received)
    15
    Likes (Given)
    20
    Likes (Received)
    25

    Default

    Speak to HR.

    One option is to convert the arrangement to a contract arrangement.

    With a new management regime you could offer them a rolling monthly contract whilst they decide what to do longer term. It would be a good opportunity to increase your income as you are taking more risk on your income.

  6. #6

    Contractor Among Contractors


    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,011
    Thanks (Given)
    2
    Thanks (Received)
    9
    Likes (Given)
    33
    Likes (Received)
    59

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by northernladuk View Post
    Incorrect. You are a permie. What everyone else has said so far.
    Just for pedantry, its the worst sort of permie. Contractor role insecurity, permie salaries and taxation, trivial benefits.

  7. #7

    Double Godlike!

    malvolio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Walking in the garden, dreaming of Olivia...
    Posts
    10,343
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    220
    Likes (Given)
    6
    Likes (Received)
    755

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by craig1 View Post
    Just for pedantry, its the worst sort of permie. Contractor role insecurity, permie salaries and taxation, trivial benefits.
    It also stops at the agreed date, otherwise things like redundancy pay and assorted permie benefits and employer liabilities get screwed up. the clue is in the name - "Fixed Term Contract".

    So renewal is not an option. Sorry...
    Blog? What blog...?

  8. #8

    Super poster


    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    3,996
    Thanks (Given)
    36
    Thanks (Received)
    29
    Likes (Given)
    153
    Likes (Received)
    89

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chappers View Post
    Not sure if this is the right place to post but here goes.
    Judging from the warm welcome you've received from the usual suspects here, it's probably not the right place. Welcome to the forum anyway.

    Quote Originally Posted by chappers View Post
    I have a new IT manager starting on the 2nd Jan, so s/he will be all new etc and getting grounding when my contract is up so s/he won’t have my past 5 months for review and input to any decision.
    Forget about the agency, I'd speak with your line manager straight away. If you have a brand new manager then it's going to be a bit tricky because they will have a lot to deal with on their first few days.

    Ask around to find out who is sponsoring the upcoming projects and see if they need anyone. Get a bullet point list together to explain how you have been adding value over the last 6 months and you are enjoying the job etc etc then go and do some smoozing with the new manager. Drop a few lines about upcoming projects and who the sponsors are (ie, who's paying for them) and do your pitch for how they will need your services.

    This is going to be a lot for the new manager to take in so follow it up with a summary of what you discussed do your pitch is fresh in their mind and then hope for the best.

    Who knows, you might even get offered a permanent role.

    Good luck!
    Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.