• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

FTC expiring

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FTC expiring

Hi all,

Not sure if this is the right place to post but here goes.

I am currently on a 6 month FTC [so technically sort of contracting] being paid direct from the employer like a permie. Currently my contract ends at the end of Jan and I have a weeks notice in my contract.

I have a new IT manager starting on the 2nd Jan, so s/he will be all new etc and getting grounding when my contract is up so s/he won’t have my past 5 months for review and input to any decision.

The 'team' has not been full i.e. 3 ppl +mgr +trainer for over a year and to see me go at the end of Jan would be not useful [imo] and with planned projects, they will need to keep me [imo]. Of course that is not the real world and they could just let my contract expire. Even the senior person is pushing for a main team of 4 because of the upcoming projects and workload.

Financially and budget wise I have planned for the contract not to be extended or offered perm, and at present updating CV ect for the eventuality of this.

I would like to stay on, but what is the best way of starting negotiations on keeping me on - email, formal letter, and direct visit [bearing in mind a direct visit would not be best imo as HR share an office of 3 ppl]?

I was place via an agency; so would I contact them or go direct to HR?

Any advice would be greatly received

advice.?

Originally posted by chappers View Post
    Hi all,

I am currently on a 6 month FTC [so technically sort of contracting] being paid direct from the employer like a permie. Currently my contract ends at the end of Jan and I have a weeks notice in my contract.

I have a new IT manager starting on the 2nd Jan, so s/he will be all new etc and getting grounding when my contract is up so s/he won’t have my past 5 months for review and input to any decision.

The 'team' has not been full i.e. 3 ppl +mgr +trainer for over a year and to see me go at the end of Jan would be not useful [imo] and with planned projects, they will need to keep me [imo]. Of course that is not the real world and they could just let my contract expire. Even the senior person is pushing for a main team of 4 because of the upcoming projects and workload.

Financially and budget wise I have planned for the contract not to be extended or offered perm, and at present updating CV ect for the eventuality of this.

I would like to stay on, but what is the best way of starting negotiations on keeping me on - email, formal letter, and direct visit [bearing in mind a direct visit would not be best imo as HR share an office of 3 ppl]?

I was place via an agency; so would I contact them or go direct to HR?

Any advice would be greatly received
    chuck this and get a contract for real money and stop wasting your time

Comment

You are an employee. Go to HR.

Comment

Incorrect. You are a permie. What everyone else has said so far.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Speak to HR.

One option is to convert the arrangement to a contract arrangement.

With a new management regime you could offer them a rolling monthly contract whilst they decide what to do longer term. It would be a good opportunity to increase your income as you are taking more risk on your income.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Incorrect. You are a permie. What everyone else has said so far.
            Just for pedantry, its the worst sort of permie. Contractor role insecurity, permie salaries and taxation, trivial benefits.

Comment

Originally posted by craig1 View Post
              Just for pedantry, its the worst sort of permie. Contractor role insecurity, permie salaries and taxation, trivial benefits.
              It also stops at the agreed date, otherwise things like redundancy pay and assorted permie benefits and employer liabilities get screwed up. the clue is in the name - "Fixed Term Contract".

So renewal is not an option. Sorry...
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Judging from the warm welcome you've received from the usual suspects here, it's probably not the right place. Welcome to the forum anyway.

Forget about the agency, I'd speak with your line manager straight away. If you have a brand new manager then it's going to be a bit tricky because they will have a lot to deal with on their first few days.

Ask around to find out who is sponsoring the upcoming projects and see if they need anyone. Get a bullet point list together to explain how you have been adding value over the last 6 months and you are enjoying the job etc etc then go and do some smoozing with the new manager. Drop a few lines about upcoming projects and who the sponsors are (ie, who's paying for them) and do your pitch for how they will need your services.

This is going to be a lot for the new manager to take in so follow it up with a summary of what you discussed do your pitch is fresh in their mind and then hope for the best.

Who knows, you might even get offered a permanent role.

Good luck!
                Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Working...
                X